Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin scientist

Quote Originally Posted by ShichiDrewKai View Post
    @Qogron - why'd you delete your post? I love ender's game, and I love Ender and Bean, and Mazer Rackham is incredibly entertaining.

Have you thought about looking into the other books? I've read speaker for the dead and xenocide, both were solid. Ender's shadow as also really good if you like bean.
    @Rand al'Thor - I know at least one other who has read some of Malazan, and I think one more. @Aertes is soletaken, and obviously you know the rope, aka @Stein.

I just finished Gardens of the Moon and am working through Deadhouse gates. This series looks so damn promising, thanks for the recommendation.

I've also read a couple books recently that I forgot to mention here. The mists of avalon took forever to read, but it was a good book for sure. I also finished the fall of hyperion, but I'm gonna take a break before diving into the Endymion books. There was something else too... but I've forgotten
    I remember when I read Gardens of the Moon I was like "dayumn this is good!" and then I read the second one and it was even better so now I am hooked! Currently at the middle of the third book, still a looong way to go but I don't mind at all. I am actually interested in the prequel of the series trilogy the third book of which is set to be published this year iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand al'Thor View Post
    We need to have a malazan party with all the ascendants present z.z
    Have you tried the prequel books (Kharkanas trilogy)? I also read good reviews for the latest Esslemont book, Dancer's Lament.
    The game of mafia is the eternal struggle between the admitted desire not to get lynched
    and the unadmitted desire not to read.

Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    martialarts

Quote Originally Posted by Rand al'Thor View Post
    We need to have a malazan party with all the ascendants present z.z
    If we're throwing a party then Drew has dibs on being Kruppe. That man knows how to enjoy himself. And Drew thought, musing absentmindedly to himself as if the others weren't present, that Kruppe's elegant and eloquent way of speaking was rather endearing and charming. Yes... Drew will make a munificent and effulgent Kruppe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    I remember when I read Gardens of the Moon I was like "dayumn this is good!" and then I read the second one and it was even better so now I am hooked! Currently at the middle of the third book, still a looong way to go but I don't mind at all. I am actually interested in the prequel of the series trilogy the third book of which is set to be published this year iirc

Have you tried the prequel books (Kharkanas trilogy)? I also read good reviews for the latest Esslemont book, Dancer's Lament.
    This brings up a good question @Rand al'Thor: what's the proper reading order? I've got the first 4 books of the main series (1/4 through deadhouse gates right now), and i was just gonna read them in order. Is there a point in the main story line when I should read some of the secondary/prequel stuff?

Spoiler!

Manga
    Dressrosa
    Anime
    Punk Hazard
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    marksman scientist

If we're throwing a party then Drew has dibs on being Kruppe. That man knows how to enjoy himself. And Drew thought, musing absentmindedly to himself as if the others weren't present, that Kruppe's elegant and eloquent way of speaking was rather endearing and charming. Yes... Drew will make a munificent and effulgent Kruppe.

This brings up a good question @Rand al'Thor: what's the proper reading order? I've got the first 4 books of the main series (1/4 through deadhouse gates right now), and i was just gonna read them in order. Is there a point in the main story line when I should read some of the secondary/prequel stuff?
    Main series, read it chronologically. No problem there. The novellas by Ian Esselmont, they are a different matter. First finish the main series. Novellas just provide stuff on different characters and continents.

|✖| |8.7 |✖|

Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin

Aha, I see you're a fast reader. Under other circumstances it would be very hard to chose a favorite character, since Erikson has done a fine job when it comes to developing different personas, but Anomander managed to steal my heart from the first second.

But if a party is to be thrown, I should go with a female character and I see no one more fitting than Lady Envy. I just have to love her sassiness and trolly nature.

I believe the prequel novels are based more on the history of the Tiste Andi, long before the Malazan Empire was established, so reading the main Malazan books is the way to go.
    Also, @Gir has read Gardens of the Moon but didn't continue and my efforts to make him catch up again have been ineffectual.
    Last edited by Aertes; Apr 9th '17 at 09:29 AM.

"I of course represent the perfect balance.
    Wit, physical prowess and a multitude of talents to match my natural grace. When combined with my extraordinary ability to waste it all, you see, standing before you, the exquisite culmination"
    the 9th

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin scientist

Kruppe was one of my favourites from that book too, great character. I also particularly liked Tool and of course the one and only Rake.
    The game of mafia is the eternal struggle between the admitted desire not to get lynched

Manga
    Captain Morgan
    Anime
    Thriller Bark
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

So, I am guessing that this Malazan serious is really good? XD

The last book I read was "Made you up" by Francesca Zappia, I am too much of a sap for well written YA novels

Manga
    Dressrosa
    Anime
    Punk Hazard
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    marksman scientist

Quote Originally Posted by Aertes View Post
    Aha, I see you're a fast reader. Under other circumstances it would be very hard to chose a favorite character, since Erikson has done a fine job when it comes to developing different personas, but Anomander managed to steal my heart from the first second.

But if a party is to be thrown, I should go with a female character and I see no one more fitting than Lady Envy. I just have to love her sassiness and trolly nature.

I believe the prequel novels are based more on the history of the Tiste Andi, long before the Malazan Empire was established, so reading the main Malazan books is the way to go.
    Also, @Gir has read Gardens of the Moon but didn't continue and my efforts to make him catch up again have been ineffectual.
    No No there are two sets of novellas series for Malazan. One is the The Kharkanas trilogy written by Steven Eriksen. Its basically how mother dark and the story of how Rake, Ruin and Andarist became such badasses and pretty much the backstory of Draconus the awesome and most of the badass ascendant
    s. Its amazing. So much history to be learned and you get to understand how history has been so distorted.

Kruppe was one of my favourites from that book too, great character. I also particularly liked Tool and of course the one and only Rake.
    Mane of Chaos. Anomander Rake. Lord of the black-skinned Tiste Andii, who has looked down on a hundred thousand winters, who has tasted the blood of dragons, who leads the last of his kind, seated in the Throne of Sorrow and a kingdom tragic and fey – a kingdom with no land to call its own.

"Tattersail cleared her throat. 'What do we know about the Lord of Moon's Spawn?"

'Scant little, I'm afraid,' Tayschrenn said, his eyes veiled. 'A Tiste Andii, for certain. An archmage.
    Hairlock leaned forward and deliberately spat at the floor in front of Tayschrenn. 'Tiste Andii, High Mage? I think we can be a little more specific than that, don't you?'
    ....'An archmage,' Tayschrenn repeated. 'Perhaps...'
    ...Hairlock bared his teeth. 'The Tiste Andii are Mother Dark's first children. You've felt the tremors through the Warrens of Sorcery, Tayschrenn. So have I. Ask Dujek about the reports coming down from the North Campaign. Elder magic - Kurald Galain. The Lord of Moon's Spawn is the Master Archmage - you know his name as well as I do.'"

"Anomander took his first step on to the stone stairs.
    And was held there, as her voice filled them.
    No. Be warned, Anomander, dear son, from Andii blood is born a new world. Understand me. You and your kin are no longer alone, no longer free to play your vicious games. There are now . . . others.
    Anomander spoke. 'Mother, did you imagine I would be surprised? Horrified? It could never be enough, to be naught but a mother, to create with hands closed upon no one. To yield so much of yourself, only to find us your only reward - us slayers, us betrayers.'
    There is new blood within you.
    'Yes.'
    My son, what have you done?
    'Like you, Mother, I have chosen to embrace change. Yes, there are others now. I sense them. There will be wars between us, and so I shall unite the Andii. Resistance is ending. Andarist, Drethdenan, Vanut Degalla. Silchas is fleeing, and so too Hish Tulla and Manalle. Civil strife is now over, Mother.'
    You have killed Tiam. My son, do you realize what you have begun? Silchas flees, yes, and where do you think he goes? And the newborn, the others, what scent will draw them now, what taste of chaotic power? Anomander, in murder you seek peace, and now the blood flows and there shall be no peace, not ever again.
    I forsake you, Anomander blood of Tiam, Dragnipurake. I deny my first children all. You shall wander the realms, bereft of purpose. You deeds shall avail you nothing. Your lives shall spawn death unending. The Dark - my heart - is closed to you, closed to you all.
    And, as Anomander stood unmoving, Endest Silann cried out behind him, falling to his knees in bruising collapse. A hand of power reached into him, tore something loose, then was gone - something, yes, that he would one day call by its name: Hope.

"The Tiste Andii spread his arms wide, then rose upward. Kurald Galain sorcery swirled around him, blending his clothing, his massive sword, drawing all inward to the shape he now climbed toward. The veering was smooth, eloquent, as jet-black wings unfolded from his shoulders. Flesh and bone surged in size, changed in shape.
    As he flew higher, eyes fixed on the stars, Anomander Rake became a black dragon, silver-maned and dwarfing even Silanah. His eyes gleamed silver, the vertical slits of the pupils dilating. His breath gusted in heavy grunts, the snap of his wings loud amid the deep groan of muscle on bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post

The last book I read was "Made you up" by Francesca Zappia, I am too much of a sap for well written YA novels
    Its amazing but its hard to get into. Too much cinfusion in the beginning.

|✖| |8.7 |✖|

Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    martialarts

Quote Originally Posted by Aertes View Post

Picking a character I don't know yet?!

Just face it, you're apsalar. An innocent looking girl with the heart and memories of a cold blooded killer. Don't deny it, I've played enough mafia games to know the truth
    Damnit @Gir!
    I love Kruppe, even before I knew his bumbling baffoonery was a facade for a deeper, more inspiring awesomeness.

Tool was great, he was basically the only thing that humanized Lorn to me. Although, I now miss lorn since the new adjunct is a total bitch. Granted, i've only seen her through felisin's eyes so far, but still...

Ya, it's hard not to like Rake. He's a badass and he manages to give off an air of nonchalantness and intense danger at the same time, somehow. He's like an alligator who also happens to be a dragon. Just a dude trying to sit around and relax a bit, leave him alone... or else he's gonna sprout his wings and bite your face off before he goes back to lazing around. Oh, and he has a sword that will kill you and suck your soul into a hell dimension for all eternity. nbd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post

I'm sucked into it right now, but Rand al'thor is right that it can be overwhelming. The whole scope of the world and the multitude of characters, races, and deities can be tough to keep track of. It seems to be well worth it though, so far.

Spoiler!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin scientist

Tool was great, he was basically the only thing that humanized Lorn to me. Although, I now miss lorn since the new adjunct is a total bitch. Granted, i've only seen her through felisin's eyes so far, but still...
    Hah, speaking of total bitches

I think you will like Fiddler ( and Iskaral ) in Deadhouse Gates. Plus the best bromance to ever exist. Do update when you finish it.