Zou
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    wrestler archeologist

Inspirations behind One Piece!

This thread basically is about the inspirations and influences on which Oda created One Piece.

Oda himself stated that inspiration for the Pirate climate in One Piece was from Vicky the Little Viking.

Further more many characters, arcs and other things in One Piece are based on some real life Pirates or other famous persons, incident, novels etc. Some of them include -->

Bartholomew Roberts---> Bartholomew Kuma
    Edward Teach aka Blackbeard ---> Marshall D. Teach aka Blackbeard
    William Kidd and Eustace the Monk ---> Eustace Kidd
    John Hawkins and Basil Ringrose ---> Basil Hawkins
    Edward Low (and his surname is probably referring to the Battle of Trafalgar) ---> Trafalgar Law
    Sir Francis Drake ---> X Drake
    Anne Bonny --> Bonney
    Chui-Apoo ---> Scratchman Apoo
    Alphonse "Al" Capone ---> Capone
    Jean Lafitte ---> Lafitte (Blackbeard Pirates)
    Henry Morgan --> Captain Morgan
    Samuel Burgess --> Jesus Burgess (Blackbeard Pirates)
    Zheng Zhilong (translation in japan means Tei Shiryu) ---> Shiryu of the Rain (Blackbeard Pirates)
    Francisco Pizzaro ---> Avalo Pizarro (Blackbeard Pirates)
    Daft Punk --> Killer
    Red Legs Greaves ---> Zeff
    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer ---> Chopper
    Samuel Bellamy ---> Bellamy
    Michael Jackson ---> Jango
    Jean Bart ---> Jean Bart (Was formerly a slave and then joined Heart Pirates)

*Van Augur (Blackbeard Pirates) --> Van Augur bears a number of similarities to the character Adolphus from Terry Gilliam's film "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen". Adolphus is one of the eponymous Baron's henchmen, and has incredible eyesight and amazing shooting skills, able to detach an apple from a tree about 900 miles away. Van Augur's hat, glasses, hair, cape and rifle all contribute to this resemblance.

*Enel is based on Eminem (most of you must be knowing), an artist that Oda is fond of.

*Donflamingo is based on Jean Michel Polnareff. For some reason this artist is popular in Japan .

*Sentomaru is basically lifted from popular depictions of Kintaro.

* The three Admirals Kuzan (Aokiji), Sakazuki (Akainu), Borsilano (Kizaru) are basically based on Yusaku Matsuda, Bunta Sugawara and Kunie Tanaka, all real life famous Japanese actors.

*Hogback from Thriller Bark --> Hogback is based on the Doctor Moro, who turned to genetically experimenting of animals to humans and on Frankenstain. Both of them were betrayed by their creations.

*Thriller Bark --> Oda is influenced by Tim Burton and his films some convincing example are Nin Gyoro and Bao, the servants of Moria very reminiscent of Lock Stock and Barrel on the homonym movie Nightmare before Christmas.

Nightmare before Christmas: Lock Stock and Barrel

Thriller Bark:Nin Gyoro and Bao

*Oars --> The zombie giant Oz is based in r, a god of Norse mythology.The name r, which means "overwhelmed" is probably tied to the same root from which comes the name of the god Odin. In common with Oars is that, like all ancient gods of the vikings, he enjoyed fighting. The significance of his name, "overwhelmed" can indicate the shadow of Luffy who was inside.

*Mariejois and Chteau de Chambord In Chambrod located in France have a common appearance.

*Crocodile is a mix of John Travolta and Steven Segal, both of who have achieved fame playing the opposing roles of Gangster and Cop

*Nico Robin, who worked with Crocilde, is based on Uma Thurman's character Mia Wallace. Travolta and Thurman both worked together in Pulp Fiction.

*Brook is obviously Jack Skellington, but there are also three famed musicians contributing to his look: Jimi Hendrix (Clothes+Fro) + Slash (Hat) + Ozzy Osbourne (Glasses).

Hope you find this interesting and a nice source of information. Would love if anyone has some more influences to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Amr15730 View Post
    I have come across this http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?p=42458705 at NF.

"This is a crasy movie. It is know that Oda got some inspiration from this movie, it cant be argued.

First you have Van augur on this picture:

Then we have Kizaru jumping on a cannon ball:

There are also a kraken, giants but thats more classic.

This is where its getting interesting:

People goes to the moon using a balloon:

Just like them:

Now them:

Yes. They are our tenryuubitos. But not only that: in the movie they are the kings of the moon.

The tenryuubitos coming from space is becoming a regular theory and thats another possible hint toward this. Does not mean they necessarily come from the moon since we already have people there, more likely another planet where all people have this kind of hair."

Now i'm not a big supporter of the Theory, but it is nice to see from where Oda got his Idea's
    Last edited by Dino; Jun 24th '13 at 07:23 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Thugg For This Useful Post:

Humming Brook  (Jun 5th '12), Iemitsu  (Jun 5th '12), Love Cook  (Mar 1st '12), LuffyVsGoku  (Mar 29th '12), Magina  (Feb 16th '12), OOkashineee  (Mar 26th '12), Rand al'Thor  (Jul 2nd '12), sandysennin  (Apr 21st '12), Shuusui  (Mar 26th '12), The Agent  (Mar 23rd '12), Thephoenixmaster  (Mar 29th '12)

Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman chef

Dude, this has just been made. Post this there and get this one closed.

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Manga
    Zou
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    wrestler archeologist

My bad, anyways It is to much to be posted inside another thread so I made a new one.

Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman

Wow,that's a awesome find.

Kurosaki D. Ichigo | 0 - 15,000 | 15 XP | Travel log | Move Set | Bounty Hunter - Bird Plucker

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Tbf though I did make mine first

Manga
    Zou
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    wrestler archeologist

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
    Tbf though I did make mine first
    Ah, you did but you didn't provide much information and rather made it a discussion thing where every one could post there bit of information they have. I almost posted all the influences regarding One Piece.

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo View Post
    You did, it was messy though.
    I'm on my ipad

Manga
    Zou
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    wrestler archeologist

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
    I'm on my ipad
    Doesn't matter, your's was a bit messy as Sabo said. Rather than arguing why this wasn't posted on your thread, you should talk more about how you find the information I provided.

Manga
    Fishman Island
    Anime
    Fishman Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    wrestler smith

Nice find, +rep