Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Question How to install and setup an IRC Client [Now with images!]

Welcome to another glorious tutorial by yours truly. Today I'm going to show you how get an IRC Client operational on your PC. Yes, sadly this tutorial will only cover Windows. However, maybe with "incentives" I could make Linux and Mac versions. *cough*repthispost*cough* Oh my. Sorry about that. Onto the tutorial!

Tutorial

Now, you're probably wondering what an IRC Client is. In the simplest of terms, it is basically a way for you to connect to an IRC network to talk to other people via Instant Messaging. If you want a more elaborate explanation, try Wikipedia. Anywho, for this tutorial, I'll be downloading Hexchat. Which can be found here. HexChat can also be installed on Mac OS X and Linux systems, but your mileage may vary.

The downloading and installing processes are kinda mundane and pretty straightforward, so they won't be covered in depth here. Just stick to the usual "Select recommended settings and click Next" routine and you should be fine.

Here comes the part you've all been waiting for. Images! Yay for images! Once Hexchat has finished installing, you'll see the following window appear. This is where all the IRC Networks you can connect to are found. Hence the name of the window being called "Network List". Hexchat comes with plenty networks pre-installed; however, we'll be adding in our own in a moment.

Look at all dem networks.

Click "Add" and you'll see a New Network appear. You may name it whatever you wish. I named mine "Myobokuzan" after the server address. Select your brand new network after naming it and click the "Edit" button.

Pick a name you'll easily associate with OnePieceBay. Names like "Network 1" are just going to cause headaches later.

A new window has appeared! We're now going to input the server address and settings to enable our client to connect to OPB's IRC server. Let's start off in the "Servers" tab, shall we?

That checkbox totally shouldn't be checked right now.

Double-click where it says "newserver/6667" and input "irc.myobokuzan.org/6667". This is the server address and port number for the server. I've done the same below. Remember to hit "ENTER" once you're done or it will not register what you entered into the field.

Seriously, man. Hit ENTER afterwards. You've been warned.

Now click the tab next to "Servers" called "Autojoin channels". We're going to input the server channel(s) we want to join automatically each time we open Hexchat without having to use commands every time.

I wish there was a program that could automatically come up with a witty caption for here.

Click "Add" and type in "#optalk". (Minus the quotes of course.) This is the main channel where the majority of the exchanges happen. When/If you discover additional channels, you may return to this window and add more channels at your discretion. Again, remember to press "ENTER" once you're finished.

Some channels have passwords and you can't enter them without the password. #OPTalk isn't one of those channels so feel at ease.

We can leave the last tab alone as it is not needed at this time. If you look below, you'll see a selection of check boxes to choose from. For a streamlined IRC experience, I recommend checking the "Connect to this network automatically" box. This will have Hexchat automatically connect to OPB's IRC server upon its initiation. Cool, huh?

Not having to click an extra amount times to connect is a big time saver. Time is Money, after all.

The last checked box can be left alone as I assume you'll only be using IRC for OPB-related matters and not connecting to other networks. Moving along, enter in a password in the "Password" field if you're nickname is registered with one. (Registering won't be covered in this tutorial. Click here for more on registering IRC nicknames.) If not, leave it blank. You can always come back here later and add in a password if you register later on.

My password are those dots. Seriously. Try it.

Now we are back to the Network List again. You will see at the top of the window "User Information". This is where you choose you nickname for IRC. It's required that you use your OPB username so others may easily identify you. If you cannot be identified, there's a high probability you will be kicked from the channel. So just be a good sport and use your username.

Don't even think about it, bub.

You can enter in additional names in the "Second Choice" and "Third Choice" fields or leave them blank. Those names will only be used if your main nickname is taken for whatever reason. So you will still join the network. (This situation can be avoided by registering your nickname upon joining the network.) The "User Name" field can be the same as your main Nickname. So just use that for consistency. With all that finished, you can hit "Connect" and begin your IRC journey!

Lastly, so you aren't totally lost, I'd also recommend reviewing some IRC commands as well. Should prove useful as you begin to engage IRC a regular basis. Happy trails! Thanks for reading this tutorial!

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

http://www.onepiecebay.net/forums/sh...y-Chat-Channel

Now we got two. I'll move this one to here: [x]

But good work, Rise.

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold