Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Question Are The Shichibukai Relevant?

So I've been pondering this over for awhile now, specifically when I noticed Jinbei would be joining the crew or at the very least ( most likely will be. ) See initially I thought, woah, he's going to disrupt the monster trio as well as the natural balance of the crew ( power wise ) but after seeing just how relatively useless he is in the Whole cake arc I began to notice something.. ( Yeah yeah he just hasn't gotten enough panels to show his worth, blah blah. )

Shichibukai are relatively useless in the New World & I'd go as far as saying grandline to an extent. Most current and ex members held a bounty lower than 200 million or below mostly every Supernova's before being inducted as a Shichibukai ( Yes I know bounties don't typically equate to strength but in this regard, they do. ) Now I thought wow this must mean they were really dangerous despite not having much notoriety in the bounty department. And this is true, there exceptional when taking into account most newbie pirates.

However after seeing Luffy pummel ( With help ) them one by one I noticed a pattern, specifically that with each new enemy or powerful figure the Shichibukai seemed to fall short in comparison either in hype or strength all around. Now especially considering we see big guns with 1billion bounties/ haki monsters/ DF monsters; I also highly doubt these high numbers & strengths are exclusive to Yonkou members. Which leads me to ask, what good are the Shichibukai? Just what do they accomplish beside being an overextension of a marine during the first half of the weakest seas? In the new world does anyone even fear them?

Obviously after seeing buggies success we can deduce that fame and the tales behind them alone scare pirates but as I said, who in the New World comes off as the easily frightened type? I reckon virtually everyone who survived long enough to make it there doesn't give two fucks about them.

All I'm asking is for someone to explain to me if the Shichibukai are even still worthy of praise.. I don't even think Mihawk is an exception from this, I just honestly don't see the point of them anymore. I guess the point of this thread is to see if anyone agrees or disagrees. Just been on my mind for awhile now lol

P.S : At this point isn't everyone Shichibukai level?
    Just another Youtuber who likes anime

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RoronoaXRobin For This Useful Post:

edd  (Jul 10th '17)

Manga
    Punk Hazard
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin chef

I guess they do appear to be increasingly ineffective in the plot. But then again, I'd argue that only Zoro, Robin and Sanji are shichibukai level. Luff might as well be a yonko.

That's not to say the shichibukai are useless, some like jinbei just changed sides. We could argue that revolutionaries also have pretty strong if not stronger characters though they prefer to stay low-key.
    Last edited by edd; Jul 10th '17 at 02:07 PM.
    Spoiler!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    I guess they do appear to be increasingly ineffective in the plot. But then again, I'd argue that only Zoro, Robin and Sanji are shichibukai level. Luff might as well be a yonko.

That's not to say the shichibukai are useless, some like jinbei just changed sides. We could argue that revolutionaries also have pretty strong if not stronger characters though they prefer to stay low-key.
    Perhaps that was an over exaggeration in terms of everyone being Shichi level. Other than that yeah, I think the monster trio in general were damn near it even pre-time skip but they certainly are now. I mean I appreciate Oda trying to make them relevant with people like Weeble who appear to be going to have his own little arc..

Robin Shichibukai level? HMMM I don't see much from her, half the time she's sadly cleaning up the fodders. I really wish she had haki, out of all people she'd be perfect with it imo.

Yeah the revolutionaries having strong people only solidify my point, the Shichibukai are useless now!
    Just another Youtuber who likes anime

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman

Well I think it's because the WG has a say in who becomes a Warlord. They are making picks based on what they perceive and it may not be the reality on the battlefield. The Warlord title is the most diverse in terms of strength. Some are indeed relevant others are not.

Also keep in mind that most strong Warlords have influence and actual pirate crews. And they are strong for a good part.

List

- Doflamingo was able to wage war in an almost equal effort against an army of three Supernova. The Luffian army consisted of Luffy, Law and Zoro. That's something worth noting.

- Mihawk fought on par with Vista and is actually stronger than him. He managed to survive the new world ALONE.

- Kuma is another wild card that survives ALONE. His initial attack against Oars Jr incapacitated him momentarily. This was something an entire giant squad with at least one VA couldn't do.

- Blackbeard didn't fight Ace on par like Jinbe, he actually defeated a yonko commander, and went on to challenge the Fleet Admiral.

- Crocodile survived encounters with Akainu, Mihawk and Jozu all in one war with just one bandage in the end.

- Boa Hancock knows three forms of Haki, and did in one kick what the combined efforts of an entire crew who defeated CP9 had to do just to take out a single pacifista.

In terms of plot these guys play some role aside from fighting, something else seems to be coming up noting that they are an extension of the WG so in the end they will play a crucial part in the story, whether it be against or for the protagonist, didn't pretty much every Warlord help the Strawhat Pirates?

- Mihawk trained Zoro

- Boa helped Luffy into Impel Down, fed him, and intervened in his clash with Smoker.

- Kuma sent them all to boot camp to get stronger, and spared them on Thriller Bark. He saved them from Kizaru's onslaught.

- Crocodile saved Luffy's life twice during the war, and saved Ace.

- Jinbe saved Luffy several times.

- Buggy carried him for the remainder of the war's end.

Blackbeard and Doflamingo are the only ones who should be excluded but we know they play a role.

Answer is, yes they're relevant, Fujitora's plans indicate this.

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Like Jamal said, the Shichibukai arent as useless or weak as some people might think.

- Doflamingo endured G4 and would have defeated Luffy if not for the help he received. That puts him above the main character right now and close to a Yonko Top Commander level, which is pretty impressive

- Mihawk is regarded as the world strongest swordsman, even after clashing with Whitebeard's strongest swordsman and one of his Top Commanders, Vista

- Crocodile is a powerful Logia with a weakness that was exploited by Luffy, and he was only defeated after they fought 3 times. Logia also gives him a edge in the New World, which he entered and has been surviving so far

- It took Monster Luffy and the whole crew to defeat Moriag and his powers. He is stronger than a Pacifista, who was causing trouble to New World pirates

- Boa is usually underrated but we cant forget that one of her kicks did what Current Luffy did with G2. One shot a Pacifista

- Jinbe is close to Luffy level. M3 isnt weak, and maybe we should start considering M3 as Zoro, Jinbei and Sanji, since Luffy G4 puts him far above that level. A M3 character can fight Vice Admirals, endure Admiral attacks and fight Yonko commanders

So they are a pretty impressive force on their own right and this particular strong characters can make a difference in their own right. The main problem is that some, if not most of them, have a hidden agenda and arent as much of Wg puppies as the Wg would like them to be, screwing the Wg and acting behind their backs all the time. Reason why Issho wants to abolish the Shichibukai system. So, they are not weak, but they dont serve their main purpose of serving the Wg many times
    Spoiler!

Bring justice like no one else can!
    Defend the placement of your favorite characters in the Tier List Thread!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman entertainer

Fujitora expresses his deep resentment towards the Shichibukai system, surely he knows something about it that the world hasn't seen yet.

They're relevant to the New World because plot. Like Weevil/Weeble, who was introduced, destroying multiple of Whitebeard's former comrades (although we're not sure if those were the typical fodder).

Buggy tho. I'm not sure how he fits. (Oh wait, he's relevant! Comic relief. )
    "There's a hidden darkness in everyone."

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Advertisement:

You know, registering is free, allows you to take part in discussions, AND gets rid of this ad!
    Quote Originally Posted by ResoluteMenace View Post
    Fujitora expresses his deep resentment towards the Shichibukai system, surely he knows something about it that the world hasn't seen yet.

They're relevant to the New World because plot. Like Weevil/Weeble, who was introduced, destroying multiple of Whitebeard's former comrades (although we're not sure if those were the typical fodder).

Buggy tho. I'm not sure how he fits. (Oh wait, he's relevant! Comic relief. )
    Most Shichibukai actions are covered up. Moriah's actions were covered up by the Wg. A lot of what Crocodile was doing was also covered up, and most of Doflamingo's actions werent made public, probably.

So yeah, even Smoker knows how traitorous a Shichibukai is and that they are still pirates to the core, so Issho would as well. He is not blind the rest of the world tho, they probably dont even know half of their illegal actions
    Spoiler!

Bring justice like no one else can!
    Defend the placement of your favorite characters in the Tier List Thread!