View Poll Results: Do you like it when they turn your fave anime into live-action films?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like seeing my anime on the big screen!

0 0%
  • No, they should just stay as anime. And live in our hearts... forever.

1 100.00%
  • Don't really care, I'll watch it whatever the format is! Anime is life.

0 0%
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman entertainer

Cool What's your take on anime series turned into live action films?

Okay, I'm not sure if this should be here in the TV and Movies section or in the Anime and Manga section, but seeing as how they're films, I'm gonna put this here.

To start if off, I'm not saying those shitty rip-offs they had the nerve to call live-action (I'm looking at you Dragonball: Evolution ), but I'm referring to those usually done in Japan, like Rurouni Kenshin, Shigatsu Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April), Anohana, etc.

2017 has a lot of lined-up live action films adapted from anime, namely; Death Note, Tokyo Ghoul, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Gintama, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and just recently, the announcement for Bleach.

I just want to know your insight regarding this upcoming trend in films (since they're also planned to be released globally).
    "There's a hidden darkness in everyone."

Senior Member AndrewtheAmericanDude's Avatar
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    marksman entertainer

At worst we'll just get a very forgettable adaptation, on the other hand, it could even be something decent. I'm thinking this new OP show could maybe be good but the creators are making questionable claims like being fans since the very beginning? I don't believe that lol. But yeah it'll either be alright or we'll just forget about it

Spoiler!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

I am not gonna judge movies that did not come out yet based on the failure of previous movies. Some american adaptations of japanese media has worked out alright. Last Power Rangers and Godzilla movies, for example.
    Check out and join in our Halloween Movie Event!

Spoiler!

queen in the north Cheshire Cat's Avatar
    Manga
    Punk Hazard
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin chef

It's fine if it's Japanese origin like rurouni kenshin. Shit hits the fan when you get netflix production of Death Note. I think leave the anime movie adaptations to the Japanese.
    Spoiler!

curiosity killed the cat. but satisfaction brought it back.
    Akili Matatta

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

I think anime is a huge untapped source for live-action films.

The ones that they have tried to make, most of them suck.

Personally, I really liked Ghost in the Shell. I never had a particular attachment to the animated film or the anime. I've seen the first Rurouni Kenshin film, and I thought it was pretty good. Haven't seen the anime, though, so I have no idea how good the movie is compared to it. The Japanese Death Note films were a hit, as far I know.

Now, this new Death Note film, I was really excited for it, then the first trailer came out... and then the second. It looks like garbage. I get that it's an American adaption, so I'm not a huge stickler on the whole whitewashing bs. Japan casts Asian people for their roles in movies like Fullmetal Alchemist and Attack on Titan, so it doesn't matter. But they've gotten the characters completely wrong. For one, in the trailer, you see L talking to a crowd. He would never do that. Light wasn't a fucking emo shut-in. He was a smooth sociopath.

I'm all for anime adaptions, as long as they get it right Easier said than done, since it's a rare occurrence. I would love to see a Hollywood version of Fullmetal Alchemist. Could be awesome. Same with Attack on Titan. And they work as far as skin color and all that goes. An American adaption of Akira could be amazing. Get Nolan on it.

- All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain -
    Spoiler!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Nekomamushi View Post
    I think anime is a huge untapped source for live-action films.

The ones that they have tried to make, most of them suck.

Personally, I really liked Ghost in the Shell. I never had a particular attachment to the animated film or the anime. I've seen the first Rurouni Kenshin film, and I thought it was pretty good. Haven't seen the anime, though, so I have no idea how good the movie is compared to it. The Japanese Death Note films were a hit, as far I know.

Now, this new Death Note film, I was really excited for it, then the first trailer came out... and then the second. It looks like garbage. I get that it's an American adaption, so I'm not a huge stickler on the whole whitewashing bs. Japan casts Asian people for their roles in movies like Fullmetal Alchemist and Attack on Titan, so it doesn't matter. But they've gotten the characters completely wrong. For one, in the trailer, you see L talking to a crowd. He would never do that. Light wasn't a fucking emo shut-in. He was a smooth sociopath.

I'm all for anime adaptions, as long as they get it right Easier said than done, since it's a rare occurrence. I would love to see a Hollywood version of Fullmetal Alchemist. Could be awesome. Same with Attack on Titan. And they work as far as skin color and all that goes. An American adaption of Akira could be amazing. Get Nolan on it.
    Totally forgot Ghost in the Shell. That one is a good example of an adaptation movie that worked quite alright.

Havent even seen the 2nd Death Note trailer, but I dont think I will anyway
    Check out and join in our Halloween Movie Event!

Spoiler!

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

This is a dope topic. I really liked Rurouni and the FMA trailer looks nice. The DB Evolution movie was just horrible. Adaptations like this messes with my head. My favorite manga/anime series of all time is DB. Ever since the PS2 game series ended, the gameplay and overall game quality has been stagnant. Now they've come with this SF type style for some retro amusement. DB games have been shit for years. Before DB Super, I wanted DB to continue, but now I regret that. So the game, live action adaptation, and anime is shit. Super does more damage to the DB name than GT ever did.

Death Note trailers have also pissed me off. Forget the looks and name changing. Look at the actions. Why is L talking in front of people like that? Why is Ryuk encouraging Light? I honestly hate when they change things on that level.

This brings me to the One Piece tv show. I want to be optimistic, but not naive. Many people are excited over the news of a large budget. That doesn't do it for me. You can pour money into something and the people in charge not really care about the story. CGI is cool, but what does it matter if Luffy becomes a rebellious high school student? Many OP fans are missing these things and getting excited over a potential mess. I honestly don't care if people in my country accept OP. I've watched youtubers talk about "the west" appreciating OP like they do Naruto and DB for years. I honestly don't care. I understand that it's cool to have fellow OP fans, but I would be satisfied if I was the only OP fan in the world. I have a billion questions.

1. Will this be a 8-13 or 20-26 episodes per season type of show?
    2. What are they covering? Is it going to be a season where they cover a section of the East Blue Saga while skipping major parts of the manga? Like will the Buggy arc where they met Nami get cut? Will they just go to Cocoyasi Village and intro Nami there? These are important questions to me.
    3. What will be omitted and what non-canon material will be added?
    4. Where will they shoot? Setting is so important. The truth is that if it sucks, Oda will no choice, but to be dishonest and compliment it. Poor Oda. Making it feel like they're in the villages from the source material is important. This is a pirate's story.
    5. How much will they change personalities and characteristics?
    So many more questions, i'm optimistic, but not a sucker. I'm very aware, that it'll be hard to please all my ideals. Just want this to be decent at least.

I'm a fan of Teen Wolf (producer of Teen Wolf is working on this), but idk how much of a fan this guy really is. When adapting books, games, manga, etc, those in charge have lied about how much of a fan they are to appeal to the fans of the source material.
    Last edited by Cockycent; Jul 30th '17 at 02:11 AM.

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman entertainer

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    This is a dope topic. I really liked Rurouni and the FMA trailer looks nice.

This brings me to the One Piece tv show. I want to be optimistic, but not naive. Many people are excited over the news of a large budget. That doesn't do it for me. You can pour money into something and the people in charge not really care about the story. CGI is cool, but what does it matter if Luffy becomes a rebellious high school student? Many OP fans are missing these things and getting excited over a potential mess. I honestly don't care if people in my country accept OP. I've watched youtubers talk about "the west" appreciating OP like they do Naruto and DB for years. I honestly don't care. I understand that it's cool to have fellow OP fans, but I would be satisfied if I was the only OP fan in the world. I have a billion questions.

1. Will this be a 8-13 or 20-26 episodes per season type of show?
    2. What are they covering? Is it going to be a season where they cover a section of the East Blue Saga while skipping major parts of the manga? Like will the Buggy arc where they met Nami get cut? Will they just go to Cocoyasi Village and intro Nami there? These are important questions to me.
    3. What will be omitted and what non-canon material will be added?
    4. Where will they shoot? Setting is so important. The truth is that if it sucks, Oda will no choice, but to be dishonest and compliment it. Poor Oda. Making it feel like they're in the villages from the source material is important. This is a pirate's story.
    5. How much will they change personalities and characteristics?
    So many more questions, i'm optimistic, but not a sucker. I'm very aware, that it'll be hard to please all my ideals. Just want this to be decent at least.

I'm a fan of Teen Wolf (producer of Teen Wolf is working on this), but idk how much of a fan this guy really is. When adapting books, games, manga, etc, those in charge have lied about how much of a fan they are to appeal to the fans of the source material.

To be fair, I've seen the new trailer of the FMA, and there are some hits-and-misses, I wasn't satisfied with the fire from Roy Mustang, and Gluttony should've been fully CGI (well I'm a bit picky when it comes to aesthetics), but at least Alphonse looks fucking badass.

Oh sweet Goda, same. I had mixed feelings about the news. And I'm pretty sure I'm more pessimistic than optimistic about this. Like how are you gonna handle the animation for Luffy's attacks? I think it's gonna be cheesy. Anyway, that's just my negative mind.

Regarding your questions:
    1) I think it would be better if they made it continuously, like the anime (although how that's gonna be financed Idk).
    2) Hope they stick to the original material as much as possible.
    3) Maybe they could omit those filler episodes which are basically a promotion of the movies. They could add funny moments between the Straw Hats in between episodes for fanservice.
    4) Oh shit yes. Starting with Luffy's village, the marine HQ with Morgan, Syrup Village, Cocoyashi, Arlong Park, etc. Just a shitty set wouldn't cut it. We need to feel that you're in there with the characters.
    5) If they make Luffy into an angry adolescent boy, I'm gonna lose all my faith in humanity.
    "There's a hidden darkness in everyone."

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by ResoluteMenace View Post

To be fair, I've seen the new trailer of the FMA, and there are some hits-and-misses, I wasn't satisfied with the fire from Roy Mustang, and Gluttony should've been fully CGI (well I'm a bit picky when it comes to aesthetics), but at least Alphonse looks fucking badass.

Oh sweet Goda, same. I had mixed feelings about the news. And I'm pretty sure I'm more pessimistic than optimistic about this. Like how are you gonna handle the animation for Luffy's attacks? I think it's gonna be cheesy. Anyway, that's just my negative mind.

Regarding your questions:
    1) I think it would be better if they made it continuously, like the anime (although how that's gonna be financed Idk).
    2) Hope they stick to the original material as much as possible.
    3) Maybe they could omit those filler episodes which are basically a promotion of the movies. They could add funny moments between the Straw Hats in between episodes for fanservice.
    4) Oh shit yes. Starting with Luffy's village, the marine HQ with Morgan, Syrup Village, Cocoyashi, Arlong Park, etc. Just a shitty set wouldn't cut it. We need to feel that you're in there with the characters.
    5) If they make Luffy into an angry adolescent boy, I'm gonna lose all my faith in humanity.
    To be honest, i'm not a fan of FMA. Many of the shows that I was introduced to through Adult Swim during that 03-06 era weren't really for me. Like FMA, Cowboy Bebop, and Inuyasha. They're not bad, just not not for me. If there were any story inaccuracies, I probably missed it due to not really watching the show like that. Other than that, the trailer was ok. You didn't really note story misses, more looks.

You brought up the looks like what i've gotten from most of the fandom. IMO, the CGI could be better than good, but if the story gets messed up, what does it really mean?

1. It would be almost impossible for any live action show to be weekly. The most they'd can do is 25 episodes a year, which is ridiculous in itself.
    2. This is what a lot of fans are not thinking about as much as CGI. If Luffy isn't Luffy, the CGI means nothing. If he's a different person, the whole show is shit to me.
    3. This is important that you brought this up. Are they adapting the anime or the manga? IMO, OP has some of the best filler. I only dislike the samurai episodes.
    4. Yeah, you're right.
    There should be serious pressure put on these producers to make this. I see OP fans being lenient. They're thanking these people before seeing it. I understand that a lot of us are happy that our fav is getting a show, but these people might or might not give a fuck about OP. I remember reading the statements from a writer on DB Evolution and it was horrible. He talked about how much money he got and how they didn't think there was a fandom like that. They wanted to make their own version of DB that would "top' the original story. Not to say everyone is like that, but it's possible. If people aren't on their social media making these guys accountable, there's a standard established. People might underestimate social media. It is very powerful.