Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Globe globule glob Sanaa's Avatar
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

That Dreaded Black Thing

It was a cold evening; I stood there contemplating on whether to teach my younger brother in his room or my own, and in accordance with his preference, we sat on the dining table instead, enclosed in a spacious overlay of silence and thus, the perfect of breeding ground for rationalization and problem solving was created.

As I explained the axioms of mathematics with regards to algebraic expressions and our bearded maniac, Albert Einstein with his y= mx + c formulae, I came to notice a sharp insect crawl onto the textbook. The black coloration was a stark contrast to the pale blue indifference and guidance of the ink etched upon the pages of the textbook. It stopped. Halfway through exercise 12G.4, it suddenly halted at question 2e. The creature stretched out, as though trying to infer that it was a part of the ink stretched on the textbook or a piece of charcoal flexed upon the page, cunning and concise.

Alas, we realized its presence. We acknowledged it.

But it too. Realized we did so.

It began to shake its antennae in exorbitant fashion, vibrating along its eerie long back, the creature elucidated an indifferent response from me. What would it do? Despite the heavy nature of its presence, it was small and seemingly insignificant, lying there, etched upon the textured page of the textbook. My reaction was to leave it be. Inflict no harm to receive none either.

Yet my brother sought to kill it, inching into attack mode, he extended his neck to get a clearer look of his prey. The creature seemingly understood that it was being preyed upon and in a benign fit, extended over the pages of the textbook and disappeared.

Seeing it react and sense that it was targeted and subsequently fled, gave indication of intelligence and cunning. Or perhaps was it simply on my mind? Did it, therefore, understand that I did not feel affected by its presence, that it was secure in my conscious acknowledgement of it?

All thoughts receded as the creature receded, leaving behind the gray spasms of after image sought on by my eyes attempting to register its fast-paced movements out of sight.

We sat, and in quiet contemplation, got through the exercise, said our good nights, and I retreated into my introverted shell, gnawing into my bed and hiding beneath the covers from the cruel and somewhat iridescent world i'd come to perceive as being so.

Tired. But still awake. Thoughts incoherent, emotions unbalanced, and yet, despite the damage, I gnawed harder at the covers and slept.

Only to be awakened shortly after by a sharp pain on my hand. Just below my left thumb, there was a painful pinch - unlike any of the mosquitoes that I'd learned to endure in my lifetime of living in the region.

It was... different.

It shook me to my core. I awoke with surprise and confusion. The pain remained for five seconds, I sat upright abruptly, desperately scratching my hand, clawing at it as a poison seeped into it, trying to numb the pain or bring back feeling. Once the pain receded, I felt something strange.

I felt something crawl across my face, I became aware of it, and so did it. It stopped. As though sensing me. Was it real? Was there something? Was it in my head? Tired, exhausted and exasperated, I concluded, there was nothing and became indifferent to everything around me - which seemed to include the dreaded black thing.

As soon as I brushed off the circumstance, I felt it crawl into my ear.

What. Have I done?

And slowly, I realize. This creature was the same as the one that lay there bare on the surface of the pages on the textbook. Did it intentionally show itself to me to see if I'd feel secure about it? To see how we'd react? And make judgement on us on the basis of our reactions?

Did it know I was not perturbed by its presence? I meant it no harm and that is why it sought the confines of my warm ear canal on a cold night? Am I at its mercy? It could claw through my ear canal into my brain and there would be nothing I could do. A swift cunning, creature I have no control over and neither could I control... What was I to do?

The hours stretched by. I lay awake. The creature and I both, silent, masking our presence. Taking note of the symbiotic relationship. It knew the pain once it bit me would hide the sensation of it crawling on my skin. It knew I was secure in its presence and not my brother. That I was not afraid of it.

And I was not, I lay still, counting the minutes. Making little to no movement.

I know it's in my ear. It knows that I know.

Silence.

The sun shines, like a robot, I get up to pray. Moving precisely, and definitively. I pray for positive things, for a degree, for a future,for knowledge. For the strength to be myself, to accept myself and to move on from traumatic events and memories that plagued me. From injustice and pain, that scream in my mind.

Silence.

I shut it all off. I need none of it. I have endured enough of my mind. I no longer require something that kills me, that tortures me. I ask for death. For a painless life and a painless death. And ultimately I curse my God, for making the world so filthy, so cruel, for allowing the human nature to grow corrupted and destructive.

A reflection of myself.

And yet. I am still aware. That it is aware.

The day passes. I am monotonous. Did it leave? Am I alone?

Was I just checkmated, by that dreaded black thing?

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Sanaa; Oct 3rd '17 at 06:54 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sanaa For This Useful Post:

Gir  (Oct 3rd '17), Nekomamushi  (Oct 3rd '17), Overhaul  (Oct 3rd '17)

Wanted Pirate
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman entertainer

I guess you found a new friend lmfao

I swear, you capture the moment and atmosphere completely

20,000,000 BELI| 307 XP (from a total of 352 XP earned)

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I guess you found a new friend lmfao

I swear, you capture the moment and atmosphere completely

Wanted Pirate
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman entertainer

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    Did it ever leave your ear tho?

20,000,000 BELI| 307 XP (from a total of 352 XP earned)

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Did it ever leave your ear tho?
    I have no idea.

Spoiler!

Manga
    Thriller Bark
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Burger King is probably the best fast food chain

rise-chan is heavily overrated tbh

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    Burger King is probably the best fast food chain
    eh?

burger king... what does that have to do with some creature in my ear?

and no, it's subway. humph.

Manga
    Thriller Bark
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

eh?

burger king... what does that have to do with some creature in my ear?

and no, it's subway. humph.
    No, Burger King makes the best fries and burgers.

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    No, Burger King makes the best fries and burgers.

oh yea, and on an update, apparently it's a creature found in the bananas that come from the farm my distant uncle owns. we had some bananas come in early last week, must have gotten an unexpected visitor too.

hmph.

:/
    Last edited by Sanaa; Oct 3rd '17 at 04:19 PM.

Manga
    Thriller Bark
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

They also have decent chickenwings and I love their chili cheese nuggets