Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    BH is not really a gag, it's just she's lost relevancy as of the current occurrences. her personality is what ultimately counts. also, it won't be a major death kind of thing like ace.

her dying would be perfect, especially if she sacrificed herself for Luffy. it would make her relevant again.

Maybe, I won't rule it out for sure. In my mind, at least the aspect of her personality that has this crazed, obssessive infatuation with Luffy is basically a joke and deliberately written to be unrealistic. If that were to suddenly turn into a legitimate sacrifice for her character, it would almost feel "wrong" to me. Like she never even really knew Luffy, she was just crazy obsessed with him and literally killed herself to save his life.....

But maybe I'm overthinking it. I guess if Oda writes it well then I'm ok with anything.

Global Globe globule glob Sanaa's Avatar
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by MorjMan View Post
    Maybe, I won't rule it out for sure. In my mind, at least the aspect of her personality that has this crazed, obssessive infatuation with Luffy is basically a joke and deliberately written to be unrealistic. If that were to suddenly turn into a legitimate sacrifice for her character, it would almost feel "wrong" to me. Like she never even really knew Luffy, she was just crazy obsessed with him and literally killed herself to save his life.....

But maybe I'm overthinking it. I guess if Oda writes it well then I'm ok with anything.
    I understand where you're coming from. But if you think about it, Oda hyperbolizes with all his characters. Just look at Sanji, he clearly loves women and respects them which we know for a fact that he does. But Oda makes it so exaggerated at times, it appears as comic relief and actually is for the audience.

Similarly, Nico Robin is cold and disconnected and yet still content most of the time. And yet, Oda hyperbolizes this to make a situation even more funny:

I think, the issue is that you can't really relate to BH, maybe you can't see why she was designed to be the way that she was and therefore, why she latched onto Luffy in the way that she did. Also, she seems void, not serving any purpose (like you said), which makes sense, because it seems she's been sidelined by Oda for the moment. Or has she? Her purpose before was herself and her allies. But because of Luffy being the only man to not value her for her beauty, she fell in love with him, and her world went from her to him.

So back then, she used to do everything for herself, but now lives for Luffy. Goes to show two things

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

She's become a Sakura.

Manga
    Thriller Bark
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

What did I get tagged into again?

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    rise-chan is heavily overrated tbh

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    What did I get tagged into again?
    prada, this one is worth it. i promise

also, you didn't accept my friend request

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    I understand where you're coming from. But if you think about it, Oda hyperbolizes with all his characters. Just look at Sanji, he clearly loves women and respects them which we know for a fact that he does. But Oda makes it so exaggerated at times, it appears as comic relief and actually is for the audience.

Similarly, Nico Robin is cold and disconnected and yet still content most of the time. And yet, Oda hyperbolizes this to make a situation even more funny:

I think, the issue is that you can't really relate to BH, maybe you can't see why she was designed to be the way that she was and therefore, why she latched onto Luffy in the way that she did. Also, she seems void, not serving any purpose (like you said), which makes sense, because it seems she's been sidelined by Oda for the moment. Or has she? Her purpose before was herself and her allies. But because of Luffy being the only man to not value her for her beauty, she fell in love with him, and her world went from her to him.

So back then, she used to do everything for herself, but now lives for Luffy. Goes to show two things

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

She's become a Sakura.
    Ahhh ok I see what you're saying. I guess personally, I've mentally relegated Hancock to "gag character" at this point. I feel like Oda fleshed her out and then took a sharp turn with turning her into a one-dimensional character (although an admittedly very funny one). I still remember why she fell in love with Luffy the way she did, and that she was once a well-fleshed out and developed character. It's just been so long since that initial change for her that her character now revolves a little too much on that gag.

So basically, at this point in my mind I would view Hancock sacrificing herself for Luffy as "dying for her gag". Maybe Oda will start writing her character with depth again, in which case a sacrifice may feel meaningful and warranted.

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by MorjMan View Post
    Ahhh ok I see what you're saying. I guess personally, I've mentally relegated Hancock to "gag character" at this point. I feel like Oda fleshed her out and then took a sharp turn with turning her into a one-dimensional character (although an admittedly very funny one). I still remember why she fell in love with Luffy the way she did, and that she was once a well-fleshed out and developed character. It's just been so long since that initial change for her that her character now revolves a little too much on that gag.

So basically, at this point in my mind I would view Hancock sacrificing herself for Luffy as "dying for her gag". Maybe Oda will start writing her character with depth again, in which case a sacrifice may feel meaningful and warranted.
    inshaallah

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin entertainer

I dont see how her death would be as impactful to Luffy as Ace was. He doesn't love her. He sees her as a friend, just like Pedro as.

And I think having her sacrifice for Luffy would be cheap and not really impactful to the fandom. She's one of the strongest women in OP, why would she die for a man that doesn't love her? And like MorjMan said, the love she feels for Luffy is more of a gag than anything. She doesn't really know him. Like you said in your theory when talking about Ulysses, she loves him because she can't have him.

I mean, it would have a deep meaning to "die for what you love", but the purpose behind it would be a bit empty because it wouldn't be that important and kind of a waste. If Luffy loved her, well, that would definitely change things, but I honestly cant see Luffy loving her.

And she keeps her position of power to protect the Kujas, not herself. That's also why they don't let their brand be seen, so the Kujas don't know they are actually DF eaters and it's not a curse, thus protecting them from their shameful past.
    Think you know about powerscaling?
    Then come to the Tier List Thread and prove it!!

Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin

Quote Originally Posted by VAK View Post
    Wait who tagged me how do you tag people

who's going to kill hancock.

or is this code for aertes?
    Wtf, Vivian so mean.

Hm, I mainly want to point out the inaccurate info about mythology. Calypso, based on mythology, did trap Odysseus for sometime, something that never happened with Boa and Luffy and Medusa was raped by Poseidon, then cursed by Athena and then killed to be used as a weapon against another calamity. So I don't really see this connections you are trying to built here and I also agree with BlackLeg, her death won't be that impactful.

Also, Boa, apart the the comical part in the story, is mainly serving a political role, as do many others than have close relations to Luffy (Rebecca, Shirahoshi etc0. If anything, I expect her to play a bigger role in case Luffy goes against the world government.

"I of course represent the perfect balance.
    Wit, physical prowess and a multitude of talents to match my natural grace. When combined with my extraordinary ability to waste it all, you see, standing before you, the exquisite culmination"
    the 9th

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Aertes View Post
    Wtf, Vivian so mean.

Hm, I mainly want to point out the inaccurate info about mythology. Calypso, based on mythology, did trap Odysseus for sometime, something that never happened with Boa and Luffy and Medusa was raped by Poseidon, then cursed by Athena and then killed to be used as a weapon against another calamity. So I don't really see this connections you are trying to built here and I also agree with BlackLeg, her death won't be that impactful.

Also, Boa, apart the the comical part in the story, is mainly serving a political role, as do many others than have close relations to Luffy (Rebecca, Shirahoshi etc0. If anything, I expect her to play a bigger role in case Luffy goes against the world government.
    I see

I agree. She's playing a political role. But she's become vexed with Luffy. It may seem like a tag to us, but it's a hyperbolization of her devotion to him. Like I said, Off likes to exaggerate qualities of his characters to make them funny. I posted something on this earlier giving Sanji and Robin as examples.

Actually, that makes a lot more sense now.

The fact that she was raped because of her beauty and she was turned by Athena proves that she was raped by the tenryubito against her will, and the jealous wives fed her the devil fruit that made men that loved and desired her into stone. This confirms my theory even more. And explains why she looks back on her past painfully. She never wanted to have any kind of relation with any man.

Also, it seems Medusa was killed by Perseus on the guidance of Athena. So the tenryubito's wives and affiliates may come back to bite Boa Hancock in the future. Now the question remains, who will be the Perseus that kills her?

But technically, Boa Hancock did trap Luffy. She made him fight for his life and put him in jail. Luffy just didn't want to have any of that.
    @Inuarashi

Thing is, I said the death won't be impacted to Luffy like Ace was. I said the death would be impacted to her. It would bring a resolution to her story and character. It's unrequited love. She's entirely devoted to him. See, it doesn't matter if luffy loves her not, this is about her. It matter who she loves and what she does because of it.

I don't know why you haven't realized it, but Boa Hancock is pretty arrogant, selfish and greedy. If she weren't doing it primarily for herself, she wouldn't have gone as far as she has. She's not stupid either, she needs allies, which is why she networks with those she believes mean her no harm or are loyal to her, this includes the Kuja.

Her experiences may have influenced her into being the person she is, but she seems innately selfish and greedy to have climbed the ladder so fast and so high. Selfish, to want to get that far, greedy, for holding on to power. That's not to say she doesn't have her own pain, but really, the real danger is her personality.

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Aertes View Post
    Wtf, Vivian so mean.

Sorry my bad you're teh tsundere in this relationship I stole your thunder please forgive me bby.