Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Supernovas: Rivals or Side Characters?

Hellu! How y'all doin' this fine mornin'? Fine? That's dandy.

This'll be a very short thread, but I think it's a bit of an interesting topic. The title gives it away right off the bat, so no point beating around the bush.

Outside of Luffy and Zoro, will the Supernovas serve as rivals to Luffy - and maybe Zoro - or are they side characters? The reason why I ask is because, so far, Luffy has shown himself to be in a different class than the rest of the Supernovas. Of course, the ones I'm talking about are the ones he's been in direct contact with, or we've learned more about.

During Dressrosa, Luffy showed that he is ahead of Law in terms of combat abilities, at the very least. Law was a bit of an underdog in most scenarios, though, but given what's been going on in the WCI arc, Luffy surely has moved ahead of him.

Capone hasn't shown much when it comes to combat abilities, relying more on being cunning.

Urouge might be the most comparable one, having defeated a Yonko Commander, then moved on to fight another one. But he was beaten.

In the case of Law and Capone, they make up for their lack of combat abilities in intelligence. They are smart people, and they can outwit Luffy any day of the week. Urouge looks more like a brute, but he's not shown himself to be stupid in any way.

So, what I'm wondering is, will the Supernovas be characters that will help Luffy along the way, or will some of them stand in his way?

- All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain -
    Spoiler!

Manga
    Only Anime
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman doctor

Supernovas will be Luffy's allies.

Katakuri and the Big Mom remnants will serve as Luffy's friendly rivals similar to that of Roger vs Whitebeard.

Manga
    Zou
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    martialarts scientist

I wouldn't call them side characters, but rather ppl that are going to assist Luffy along his journey.

Law and Kidd will be Luffy's rivals, but when it came to the story progressing.

Law helped Luffy into the whole Punk Hazard->Zou arcs
    Capone helped Luffy during the Whole Cake Island arc
    Kidd and X Drake will help in the fight with Kaido

Apoo and Hawkings though......I see them being enemies for a least a short time out of fear.

Eventually I see Luffy bringing them all to his side even if it isn't as his underlings, or if it is just for one big fight
    Commander
    Saya | 6.1 | Calamity's Rebirth | Travel Log | ??? XP | ??? Gold

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by AppleCider View Post
    Supernovas will be Luffy's allies.

Katakuri and the Big Mom remnants will serve as Luffy's friendly rivals similar to that of Roger vs Whitebeard.
    In depth

Quote Originally Posted by Yomi View Post
    I wouldn't call them side characters, but rather ppl that are going to assist Luffy along his journey.

Law and Kidd will be Luffy's rivals, but when it came to the story progressing.

Law helped Luffy into the whole Punk Hazard->Zou arcs
    Capone helped Luffy during the Whole Cake Island arc
    Kidd and X Drake will help in the fight with Kaido

Apoo and Hawkings though......I see them being enemies for a least a short time out of fear.

Eventually I see Luffy bringing them all to his side even if it isn't as his underlings, or if it is just for one big fight
    Imo, I see almost all of the Supernovas joining in the battle against Kaido. So many have crossed paths with him or Luffy at this point.

Apoo and Hawkins could serve as antagonists, yeah. I'd actually really like to see that. Some Supernova vs Supernova action. Everyone definitely wants to see Luffy vs Kid. And agreed, those two plus Law have been set up as rivals. But given that Law and Luffy have been helping each other out now, and because Luffy seems to have already surpassed Law, I have a hard time seeing them as rivals. But Law will also grow, of course.

Yeah, I'd love to see all of them on the same side in the final war.

Spoiler!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Side Characters.

Manga
    Thriller Bark
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

i am fucking discussing this

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    rise-chan is heavily overrated tbh

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin entertainer

Like Yomi said, I expect some kind of rivalry from some of them. After all, some of them share the goal of being Pirate King, so they will be rivals.

However, for the same reason they are rivals, sharing the same goal, they will also find the same difficulties in their path, like the Yonko, and they will probably help each other taking down those obstacles, like Law intends to do vs Kaido and like Bege intended to do vs Big Mom.

So ... maybe a little bit of both?
    Think you know about powerscaling?
    Then come to the Tier List Thread and prove it!!

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

I think Kidd is his only rival. And maybe Drake too, for a little bit once we get to Wano, but that's more of a wishful assumption.

Originally I would have said Law too, but Law is too smart to try and take down Luffy. I also don't really think he cares about getting to Raftel, which is why I think his parallel to Whitebeard is closer than any other character we've seen so far. Right now he's a supporting character.

All the other characters I would peg as minor/side character. I don't think they'll have as big of a supporting role as Law, but if we're lucky will have the same sort of relevance the Capone has had. But there's been nothing so far to support any other Supernova being comparable to Luffy.

Senior Member AndrewtheAmericanDude's Avatar
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    marksman entertainer

I'm hoping for Luffy, Law, and Kid vs. Kaido, probably with a bunch of help, but by this point with Luffy maybe beating Katakuri, it could just be the 3 of them. Oars style fight or trio fight that's what I want. Then later I want Luffy vs. Kid, then Kid joins in on final war later. It'd be cool if X Drake was an interesting opponent or something, man he's great. Also Law vs. Hawkins sounds so weird I'd love to see that at some point.

Spoiler!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    I think Kidd is his only rival. And maybe Drake too, for a little bit once we get to Wano, but that's more of a wishful assumption.

Originally I would have said Law too, but Law is too smart to try and take down Luffy. I also don't really think he cares about getting to Raftel, which is why I think his parallel to Whitebeard is closer than any other character we've seen so far. Right now he's a supporting character.

All the other characters I would peg as minor/side character. I don't think they'll have as big of a supporting role as Law, but if we're lucky will have the same sort of relevance the Capone has had. But there's been nothing so far to support any other Supernova being comparable to Luffy.
    Don't sleep on my main man, Urouge! Haha, I think I mostly agree with you. I think they will all serve their purpose in the story, but they're definitely not all equals to Luffy. Kid is the one who has claimed to have the same goal as Luffy, but he just goes about it differently. But as of right now, it's hard envisioning him being an equal to Luffy. We haven't seen him do anything post-skip, though. We just saw that he got destroyed by Kaido, a fight in which Apoo apparently left unscathed, and Hawkins and Killer are nowhere to be seen. So it's not hard to imagine that Apoo and Hawkins just said "Fuck. That!" and surrendered, while Kid stood his ground.

Drake is a pretty interesting character. He seemed to be pretty strong pre-skip, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of Kaido's Calamities at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewtheAmericanDude View Post
    I'm hoping for Luffy, Law, and Kid vs. Kaido, probably with a bunch of help, but by this point with Luffy maybe beating Katakuri, it could just be the 3 of them. Oars style fight or trio fight that's what I want. Then later I want Luffy vs. Kid, then Kid joins in on final war later. It'd be cool if X Drake was an interesting opponent or something, man he's great. Also Law vs. Hawkins sounds so weird I'd love to see that at some point.
    Honestly, I feel like Drake is undercover Either way, I think he has an agenda, and I think he'll eventually team up with Luffy to defeat Kaido. So I could see it being Luffy, Kid, Law, and Drake vs Kaido. But it would be really awesome to see some of the WG to oppose one another, too. Zoro vs Hawkins, for instance. Or Law vs Hawkins, as you said. It'd be a weird fight, yeah

Spoiler!