Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

The Future of Katakuri - I Want to Break Free

I was watching Tekking101's video about Katakuri, and the word "conformity" stuck out to me. It's a very poignant word when it applies to the BM Pirates. Tekking delves into this, as well as Katakuri's future, so I just titled the thread the same as his video.

As we know, BM wants to make Totland a country in which any species can live and thrive, and they will suffer from no prejudice. But one thing that doesn't seem to be embraced in Totland is any kind of disfigurement. If you're a child that's half human and half fishman, it's a mix, and that's what's expected. But when you stand out from what you're supposed to look like, that's when the mocking, bullying, racism shows itself.

Katakuri is one of a triplet of brothers. Oven and Daifuku look more or less like normal people, while Katakuri has his deformity, his mouth.

For some reason, Pudding is mocked for her third eye, as well, but I'm not quite sure why. She was expected to grow a third eye, so I don't know why this is. But from what we've seen, only BM mocks her for this. But like Katakuri covers his mouth at all times in public, so does Pudding cover her third eye. Even so, it's not any secret that she has this eye.

Now, back to Katakuri. In the most recent chapter(893), he removed his scarf, and subsequently revealed his true face to Flampe and whoever else were around. Earlier in the arc, Katakuri killed the people who saw his true face, but why didn't he this time? Obviously he cares about his family, so killing Flampe is probably out of the picture(wish he would thoooo). Instead, as has been mentioned by several in the chapter thread, it seems he's now embraced who he is, and I think that's what's interesting here.

Luffy - as far as I know - never judged Katakuri for his appearance. He's the one person Katakuri doesn't have to hide his true nature from. Imagine living your entire life repressed like this, not being able to be who you are. This is what life is like for him with the BM Pirates.

Now that it seems he's broken his chains of repression, I wonder if it's time for Katakuri to leave the BM Pirates. Tekking had a funny idea in his video, of Katakuri getting to eat donuts made by Sanji as he sails away with the SHs. Obviously he wouldn't join the crew, I'm not saying that.

But Katakuri is a man that can definitely take care of himself. What I want to ask you is, where do you think his path goes from here?

- Do you think he stays with the BM Pirates? -

- Will he start his own crew? -

- Will he ride solo, and at some point show up to aid Luffy? -

At the very least, I think he'll bring Pudding with him. She doesn't seem like she wants to go back to the BM Pirates, either. The two of them sailing the seas together, eating donuts and erasing memories.

It seems unlikely to me that such an interesting character won't be explored further in the future.

- All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain -
    Spoiler!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Whole Cake Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman doctor

if Katakuri breaks away and forms his own crew, I would like the following to join his crew:

Cracker, Daifuku, Oven, Perospero, Smoothie, Citron, Cinnamon, Pudding, Compote and Bellamy.

This new crew can swear their loyalty to the Strawhat Pirates and can further strengthen the Strawhat Grand Fleet.

Or... Big Mom is going to die and Katakuri will take over the leadership of her crew.

Katakuri and his crew could form a pirate alliance with Marco and Whitebeard remnants to take down Blackbeard Pirates from behind the scenes

Manga
    Zou
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    martialarts scientist

I don't see him leaving. In fact I am sure that if BM isn t capable of leading after this arc Katakuri will be the leader of the crew. Big Mom being knocked out seeing how the country is supported by Her homies can have a lot of bad effects if her power dispels.

With Katakuri having to take the lead and restructuring everything I doubt anyone will try to bad mouth him about his mouth lol.

Besides that Katakuri has pride and he strikes me as the loyal type. We can see with how he treated Brulee that he cares for his siblings, that's probably y he didn't kill Flambe
    Commander
    Saya | 6.1 | Calamity's Rebirth | Travel Log | ??? XP | ??? Gold

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin entertainer

I think the reason why this people with deformities or odd features that stand out are mocked is because Big Mom's own children have this ego, or pride, about what's perfect and strong. They also have rivalries, as we see with her own small kids wanting to stab each other, and Big Mom saying that it's perfectly normal to want to kill many people ... great mother figure!

But it's just the kind of person Big Mom is, and the kind of behavior she instills in people around her. She took out limbs and fins when she was a kid because people that had them weren't like her.
    She wants to turn everyone into giants so they are more like her ...

She even keeps a collection of "odd creatures" for her own amusement, so this kind of discrimination has been always present on the crew. Not racial discrimination, but things that stand out among it.

That's what happens to Pelican Eel and Triclops, as she is an unique race that no one else has seen.

Even beyond that, Big Mom's subordinates feel repression because they can't be who they want to be. They can't act honestly, because if they do, they may be eaten by her. That's why Opera didn't say that he had failed, why many BM children act behind her back (Praline, Chiffon, Lola, Pudding) and why the BM pirates are in such a big mess in the first place. AH! BM pirates = Big Mess Pirates.

It's ironic, actually. The Pirate crew whose foundation is like a family is the one that fails to be one, while WB pirates keep united and WB loved them like real sons.
    - Do you think he stays with the BM Pirates? -

- Will he start his own crew? -

- Will he ride solo, and at some point show up to aid Luffy? -

I think it would be nice if he had a solo adventure with Pudding as an outcast, just like Crocodile and Daz had one.

But he will probably stay with the BM pirates and take care of them. He does care for his brothers and sisters. More so than Big Mom herself.

There is this very cool picture with Pelican Eel sharing a glass with Luffy, just like Whitebeard did with Roger. At first I thought Law would be Luffy's Whitebeard, while Kidd is Luffy's Shiki, but this is a nice comparison too
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by AppleCider View Post
    if Katakuri breaks away and forms his own crew, I would like the following to join his crew:

Cracker, Daifuku, Oven, Perospero, Smoothie, Citron, Cinnamon, Pudding, Compote and Bellamy.

This new crew can swear their loyalty to the Strawhat Pirates and can further strengthen the Strawhat Grand Fleet.

Or... Big Mom is going to die and Katakuri will take over the leadership of her crew.

Katakuri and his crew could form a pirate alliance with Marco and Whitebeard remnants to take down Blackbeard Pirates from behind the scenes
    Never gonna happen
    Think you know about powerscaling?
    Then come to the Tier List Thread and prove it!!

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Katakuri leaving honestly doesn't seem that likely to me, I feel like from what we've seen he likes his family too much and clearly takes a lot of pride in being the strongest under BM. If BM dies (which I don't see happening) then I could see him taking over as the captain of whatever remains as the BM pirates. If not, I think he'll just resume his current position, but him leaving with Pudding on a small adventure would be cool. It just doesn't feel like something his character would do though.

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

I think he stays with the BM Pirates. When the FI conversation between Luffy and Linlin first happened, I seen it as WB and Luffy all over again. I still think that way in terms of Luffy gaining Linlin and her crew's respect in the end. The circumstances with Sanji, FI's candy, and becoming the blame for her cake has made the conflict more severe. Luffy started as a hindrance, then another helping hand for WB. He progressed into way more than that for WB as the MF arc developed. Luffy went from just another young cheeky pirate to someone who's bothersome when he defeated Cracker to Linlin. Now, Tamago, Kata and Pero are seeing that this crew is formidable. Linlin might not be in the right state of mind to realize this threat yet. I think the BM Pirates come out of this changed due to the SH crew.

This is where it connects to Kata. I think Linlin might have self hate. She's experienced how hard it is for others to accept her because of her size and now feels that the solution is for some to be at the same size as her. Personally I believe that someone shouldn't go where they're not wanted, so having Totland filled with so much diversity is a great idea. Wanting others to be your size is an extremity tho. Linlin's self hate trickles down to her kids. Hiding what makes them special and unique. Whether it's a 3rd eye or teeth like Kata's. Kata, who is looked at as perfect, gave up on hiding when he found out that Flambe had the nerve to interfere in an one sided (optics) battle. It's a great point that you noted that i've talked about a lot as well. Many don't understand why Kata hurt himself, stopped hiding his teeth, and didn't kill those that saw it. It's because his perfect rep doesn't matter anymore when the person that he didn't accept as worthy (Luffy) before warranted her interference.

I like how Oda uses the insecurities of this family. Cracker knows of his low threshold for pain, so he hides behind his biscuit soldiers. Even the government don't have his real picture. Puddin puts on acts to the point where she has issues when someone calls her beautiful with her eye out. Kata hid his mouth and would go as far as killing those that saw it. This makes me question Smoothie. I'm not like the others who complain and bitch about her inertia in certain moments. I find it interesting. She comes off to me as "old school". Women back in the day would entertain guest, be almost afraid to speak on men or their own opinions. I wonder what Smoothie's deal is. Many of the highlighted kids of Linlin have some insecurity or issue/flaw. I've seen her try to keep the soldiers quiet about Brook's actions, but not act rashly, entertain guest, and tell her sister not to speak on men in the way that she did. I think there's something there, just can't put my finger on it.

Nice thread
    Casual: OP is just power levels

Me: