View Poll Results: Rate this week's chapter!

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

6 24.00%

19 76.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Whole Cake Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman doctor

One Piece Chapter 909 Discussion and 910 Predictions

"Seppuku"

One Piece Chapter 909 Discussion and 910 Predictions

Discuss One Piece Manga Chapter 909 here and predict the next chapter, One Piece Manga Chapter 910

Start reading here @ OPB
    Please remember to rate this week's chapter!
    1 is worst, 5 is best.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AppleCider For This Useful Post:

FireAngeL  (Jun 29th '18), Overhaul  (Jun 29th '18), ShichiDrewKai  (Jun 29th '18)

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Whole Cake Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

5/5 because of Marco and Zoro
    https://www.opbforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7851_6.gif

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

God dammit! I loved this chapter, but I wanted to see who Im chose! Oda and his god damn suspense

Alright, so Marco is/was the doctor of the crew, I assume. As for him not coming with them, it seems a bit off. Oda wouldn't have bothered to even mention bringing him along if he isn't gonna play a part in the future. So I believe he'll either be convinced, or he'll show up at the perfect moment. Or, this island will have some significance somewhere down the line.

Bakkin, seems Oda was kinda teasing us that she could've been part of Locks, but it seems she and WB was just part of the first crew he was on. Kinda weird picturing someone ordering around WB.

Lel, everyone's got their own professions in Wano, except Zoro. Hard to believe it's been like over two years since we've seen all of them.
    Alright, so Robin becoming a Geisha seems relevant. To infiltrate the Shogun's palace. The rest seem like jobs that will play no particular role right now. In the future, I guess Franky will have his carpenters, and Usopp will have a group of loyal fanatics again.

But the business with Zoro, I was a bit confused The JB translation was a bit shitty. So Zoro's been gutting people in the street? That's not really his style, but they're probably just duels. That, or he's been framed somehow. But why was he being coerced to do Seppuku? From what I gathered, it's because that idiot is carrying around Shusui. Why he decided to go along with all of it to this point, though, I don't know

Did I miss something? Ah, Wano looked awesome. The tree in the middle with the castle was reminiscent of the tree on Zou.

- All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain -
    Spoiler!

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Ok, thats some epic way to start an arc lol, Oda.
    and Robin Chwaan! i like her geisha dress, she looks so beautiful, how did they capture Zoro? maybe i miss that, ill reread

its unfair how Oda give Zoro such cool moment in the beginning of the arc, compare to the "year of Sanji"

Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    martialarts

Chapter's up, but if you guys prefer the MS translation, let me know and I can change out the pages tomorrow. Now, on to more pressing matters...

So pumped for Wano! Seeing the crew was great, and seeing the new and classy Marco was possibly even better. His poise and gravitas are just so awesome for someone with his power, especially when he seems so young. I also really liked seeing young whitebeard, that was a nice surprise.

Now, onto the crew. Franky fits perfectly as the foulmouthed carpenter, love it. Ussop as the scheisty snake toad oil salesman was absolutely beautiful (and was that a nod to naruto btw?) Robin as a kind of geisha/kabuki artist/dancer also fits, but I want to see more from her before I judge it.

And then there was Zoro... Of course Zoro was doing was Zoro was doing, but somehow it worked. This is what makes Oda great. He sets us up - basically telling us he's gonna make us think Zoro is gonna fuck things up and pull a luffy - then we wait months and months and months and everyone and their mama is saying that the first thing Zoro is gonna do is go and fuck thing up... but STILL, Oda manages to find a way to make it enjoyable and entertaining and somehow feel original! This is why I could never say goodbye to OP. GOda does it again. Well done, Sir.

Spoiler!

Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin

Zorooooooo! I have been waiting so long for you

Wano looks beautiful, that house on top of the cherry blossom tree was magnificent, I think Oda did an extra special work for those panes, which I appreciate extremely. Zoro's last pages also looks more detailed which is great.
    Finally great to see Robin with some clothes on, she looks really good and this sophisticated style does so much more justice to her character.

The authorities probably set up Zoro to take hold of the sword, since it's very unlike Zoro to move in the dark and gut people. So probably just a frame to take him out silently and keep the sword. The bun on his head is so funny, Sanji will probably troll him to no end for this XD
    It's nice to see Whitebeard's inheritance but other than that the Marco part was boring.

So hyped for more Wano

"I of course represent the perfect balance.
    Wit, physical prowess and a multitude of talents to match my natural grace. When combined with my extraordinary ability to waste it all, you see, standing before you, the exquisite culmination"
    the 9th

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman

Quote Originally Posted by ShichiDrewKai View Post
    Chapter's up, but if you guys prefer the MS translation, let me know and I can change out the pages tomorrow. Now, on to more pressing matters...

So pumped for Wano! Seeing the crew was great, and seeing the new and classy Marco was possibly even better. His poise and gravitas are just so awesome for someone with his power, especially when he seems so young. I also really liked seeing young whitebeard, that was a nice surprise.

Now, onto the crew. Franky fits perfectly as the foulmouthed carpenter, love it. Ussop as the scheisty snake toad oil salesman was absolutely beautiful (and was that a nod to naruto btw?) Robin as a kind of geisha/kabuki artist/dancer also fits, but I want to see more from her before I judge it.

And then there was Zoro... Of course Zoro was doing was Zoro was doing, but somehow it worked. This is what makes Oda great. He sets us up - basically telling us he's gonna make us think Zoro is gonna fuck things up and pull a luffy - then we wait months and months and months and everyone and their mama is saying that the first thing Zoro is gonna do is go and fuck thing up... but STILL, Oda manages to find a way to make it enjoyable and entertaining and somehow feel original! This is why I could never say goodbye to OP. GOda does it again. Well done, Sir.

This isn’t the first time we saw this whitebeard, Oda revealed young Whitebeard in an SBS.

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin entertainer

Marco's powers allowing him to heal others has been theorized a bit before, but seems like it has limits. Explains why he couldn't do shit for old man WB, and how he knew so much about his condition and seemed to care deeply about his wounds, being a doctor, that is.

Those lions looked really similar to the one in Impel Down, eh.

Last page was boring and predictable prove me wrong. It has been theorized for so long that Zoro would start some mess thanks to Shusui that I got no surprise effect from that. I know most of the people will be hyped that Zoro is back, I'm quite glad to see everyone else too, but I find the other's appearances much more enjoyable in terms of surprise and getting to know what was up to them. Like Shichi said, Franky being a foul mouthed carpenter was great, and Ussop being a shady / liar merchant suits him so well, yet most theories had nothing to do with it! Robin being a geisha was predicted, but she looked so classy and it suited her so well that I don't mind. And it's a perfect plan to infiltrate the Shogun's castle and steal the poneglyph.

Zoro was just doing what Zoro does he did that with a knife, but that should be no surprise. Dude is able to slice a huge golem with his swords, so of course he'd be able to pull a small scale slash like that with a knife.

Loved knowing more about WB's motivation and backstory. Explains why he cared about "family" so much, he never had none! He lost it at such a young age, that the family theme and his origins were the most precious thing to him and what he cared about the most.

Seems like Marco isn't coming but Oda purposedly made us know that so that later on we can connect it with what he wanted to tell Luffy. So one less lose end there.

4/5

Now what I predict is that Zoro will become a fugitive and that the others will continue on his mission. Kaido's men or even Kaido himself will come to Wano because of this. Maybe Zoro will get captured?
    This reminds me of a theory I had of him getting locked up next to Kidd and pulling an alliance with him Sanji to the rescue I mean, who better to organize a Zoro's prison break than Sanji?

The Heart pirates also went to Wano with the samurais and the MarimoHat Crew. Where are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekomamushi View Post
    God dammit! I loved this chapter, but I wanted to see who Im chose! Oda and his god damn suspense

Alright, so Marco is/was the doctor of the crew, I assume. As for him not coming with them, it seems a bit off. Oda wouldn't have bothered to even mention bringing him along if he isn't gonna play a part in the future. So I believe he'll either be convinced, or he'll show up at the perfect moment. Or, this island will have some significance somewhere down the line.

Bakkin, seems Oda was kinda teasing us that she could've been part of Locks, but it seems she and WB was just part of the first crew he was on. Kinda weird picturing someone ordering around WB.

Lel, everyone's got their own professions in Wano, except Zoro. Hard to believe it's been like over two years since we've seen all of them.
    Alright, so Robin becoming a Geisha seems relevant. To infiltrate the Shogun's palace. The rest seem like jobs that will play no particular role right now. In the future, I guess Franky will have his carpenters, and Usopp will have a group of loyal fanatics again.

But the business with Zoro, I was a bit confused The JB translation was a bit shitty. So Zoro's been gutting people in the street? That's not really his style, but they're probably just duels. That, or he's been framed somehow. But why was he being coerced to do Seppuku? From what I gathered, it's because that idiot is carrying around Shusui. Why he decided to go along with all of it to this point, though, I don't know

Did I miss something? Ah, Wano looked awesome. The tree in the middle with the castle was reminiscent of the tree on Zou.
    Zoro was framed because he was carrying Shusui. They labeled him as thief or grave robber, but since they had no proof, they had to go one step further and incriminate him of the murders that someone else was pulling. Not Zoro.

The one who got cut down in the end by Zoro's air slash was the culprit, as Zoro noted he smelled blood from him and knew he was killing those people to frame Zoro and get Shusui.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aertes View Post
    Zorooooooo! I have been waiting so long for you

Wano looks beautiful, that house on top of the cherry blossom tree was magnificent, I think Oda did an extra special work for those panes, which I appreciate extremely. Zoro's last pages also looks more detailed which is great.
    Finally great to see Robin with some clothes on, she looks really good and this sophisticated style does so much more justice to her character.

The authorities probably set up Zoro to take hold of the sword, since it's very unlike Zoro to move in the dark and gut people. So probably just a frame to take him out silently and keep the sword. The bun on his head is so funny, Sanji will probably troll him to no end for this XD
    It's nice to see Whitebeard's inheritance but other than that the Marco part was boring.

So hyped for more Wano
    Yeah, Wano's details were magnificient. One of the panels I enjoyed the most in this chapter. The other 3 being Franky's, Usopp's and Robin's.

Gotta agree with you, Robin seems very pretty in that dress and it's a refreshing change from the skimpy outfits she usually wear.
    Think you know about powerscaling?
    Then come to the Tier List Thread and prove it!!

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Great chapter. Love the set up. Love the art for Wano Country. Excited to see more. Do we think the other Strawhats will catch up next chapter/soon or will we get some love for the Zorohats before reuniting everyone? Either way, it'll be good to have a full-length adventure with the full crew again.

So Zoro is a Ronin and he's peforming Seppuku. A couple things to unpack. First of all, Ronins in feudal Japan were disgraced Samurai who failed to live by the code and were either abandoned by a master or abandoned their master. In this society, everything was bound by codes of honor and shame, and failing to uphold the Samurai code was a great shame. Honestly, this kind of desertion, the eyes of general people, already deserved ritual suicide. So in a way, just for being a ronin feudal Japanese people discriminated against you to the point of wanting you to commit suicide to regain your honor.

Now as far as the Seppuku, that was quite obviously a "ritual stage" for Seppuku. From the cloth, to the flowers, to the robe, to the baby knife wrapped in a cloth, to the "second" standing over Zoro with a sword. The ritual starts with the man to be executed taking of the robe, which Zoro did, and reaching for the weapon. Often times, especially with criminals who were being forced to ritual suicide, the second would decapitate the primary right there. However, if the ritual is properly done, then the primary cuts across their abdomen, causing a mortal wound on a downward artery and then before the most painful part of disemboweling, the head is removed.

Lastly, these "street murders" that Zoro has been accused of sounds suspiciously like Tsujigiri or "blade testing". In early feudal Japan, right after the emperor lost power, and the Daiymos took over, the ultimate authority was the nobles that the Samurais served. As such, the system of "justice" at the time allowed these nobles to do whatever they felt like to accomplish their personal whims. They would task their best swordsmen with testing blades to ensure the blade works properly w/o the variable of "lack of skill". However, these swordsmen wouldn't want to hurt other fighters and they of course had to test it on living human flesh, so they would just walk down the street and kill serfs they came across. After the Shogun united the Daimyos and installed the Emperor as a puppet, he outlawed the practice of "blade testing" discrediting the practice as "street murders" and applying capital punishment to anyone caught performing it. Since the Daimyos worked directly for the Shogun, it was their responsibility to hold samurai accountable for this practice. However, there were still ronin who abdicated from their Daimyos, thus had no accountability over their "street murders". And even if it wasn't the ronin, it was a lot easier for the people to blame ronins for street murders than upstanding samurai that belonged to the Shonguns army, directly or indirectly.

PS: @Nekomamushi can look scary when he wants to, but he has a GREAT smile

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Fishman Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    martialarts doctor

You'd think Marco's fruit would've been one that Teach wanted the most. Glad to see he still has it, though it makes you worry for Jozu and the others.

And we know what the Straw Hats are doing, but what about the Heart Pirates? Zoro was a ronin, but Law probably can't afford to show his face in Wano since he's #2 on Kaido's hitlist after Luffy.

Fact: Oda will never introduce a character as useless as Kyuin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast