View Poll Results: Rate this week’s chapter!

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

1 6.67%

1 6.67%

3 20.00%

10 66.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Whole Cake Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman doctor

One Piece Chapter 916 Discussion and 917 Predictions

“A Great Sumo Match in the Wano Country”

One Piece Chapter 916 Discussion and 917 Predictions

Discuss One Piece Manga Chapter 916 here and predict the next chapter, One Piece Manga Chapter 917

Start reading here @ OPB
    Please remember to rate this week's chapter!
    1 is worst, 5 is best.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AppleCider For This Useful Post:

FireAngeL  (Aug 31st '18), Gir  (Aug 31st '18), Overhaul  (Aug 31st '18)

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin entertainer

WHO THE HELL IS SHUTENMARU??

Any guesses?

Anyway, fun chapter. Enjoyed seeing Luffy effortlessly dodge all the blows the big guy threw at him.

Thought his G3 palm strike was a bit too much, but seeing the effect Oda wanted to cause, it made sense.

Liked seeing a female holding a sword and actually cutting someone for once.

Luffy still holding the sword despite using Gomu no Techniques

Will there be a Law x Hawkins clash?

Zoro x Holdem? The lion can make it a 3 "sword" style fight in both sides.
    Think you know about powerscaling?
    Then come to the Tier List Thread and prove it!!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Only Manga
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Fun chapter.
    Kiku constantly asking for permission to attack seems like it'd be something that she was taught to do, but I hope she breaks out of that mindset because it'll get annoying quick. I feel like she could have fodderized him, but the world may never know.
    Sumo dude was no diffed by Luffy as expected. I was hoping to have chopper beat him, but not anymore.
    Bepo, what are you doing? You're supposed to be law's first mate and you're being taken down by poisonous fish smh
    Hawkins is still a mystery.
    No brook yet again

1.Soul King Brook
    2.Roronoa Zoro
    3.Vinsmoke Sanji
    4.Dracule Mihawk
    5. Monkey D Luffy

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

I'm calling it , Sentoumaru was a Sumo wrestler from Wano.

Beli
    Gold
    EXP

Quote Originally Posted by Alibaba Saluja View Post
    Why sumo wrestler? I was assuming that he was a disgraced Samurai working with the rebels, like Okiku. If he's a samurai too, that would fit in with the "Seven Samurai" theme going on. In the "Seven Samurai" movie, there were 5 real samurai, one samurai in training, and one person that claimed to be a samurai even though it was quite clear that he wasn't ever a samurai. I see parallels being drawn by the group that's forming around Luffy and Zoro. Zoro is obviously the samurai in training in the allusion, and Luffy is the person that isn't a samurai at all. So they just need to find 4 more samurai, and they'd be like the seven samurai.

Speaking of Okiku, there's a folk story in Japan called Banchō Sarayashiki. The advances from Urashima reminded me of it.

Here's a brief plot of the story:

"Once there was a beautiful servant named Okiku. She worked for the samurai Aoyama Tessan. Okiku often refused his amorous advances, so he tricked her into believing that she had carelessly lost one of the family's ten precious delft plates. Such a crime would normally result in her death. In a frenzy, she counted and recounted the nine plates many times. However, she could not find the tenth and went to Aoyama in guilty tears. The samurai offered to overlook the matter if she finally became his lover, but again she refused. Enraged, Aoyama threw her down a well to her death.

It is said that Okiku became a vengeful spirit (Onryō) who tormented her murderer by counting to nine and then making a terrible shriek to represent the missing tenth plate – or perhaps she had tormented herself and was still trying to find the tenth plate but cried out in agony when she never could. In some versions of the story, this torment continued until an exorcist or neighbor shouted "ten" in a loud voice at the end of her count. Her ghost, finally relieved that someone had found the plate for her, haunted the samurai no more."

From then on, Okiku (as inspired by this story) has shown up in many variations in the Japanese art form Ukiyo-e, usually appearing as a woman punished for scorning a man's advances.
    Last edited by Milo; Aug 31st '18 at 12:44 PM.

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    martialarts navigator

Seeing Law and Hawkins potentially fight will be interesting. I expect Speed will be introduced soon as well, to even up the odds for the Beasts Pirates.

Still the Hero.

"Ideas Never Die..."

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    assassin entertainer

So is Luffy the new Summo Champion of Wano?
    Think you know about powerscaling?
    Then come to the Tier List Thread and prove it!!

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman

That’s it, the war has officially begun, Luffy and Zoro are openly and not covertly attacking the beast pirates. Challenging a headliner, and causing a massive scene right now. Kaido was mad when they simply waged war on the Donquixote family and kidnapped Caesar, but now they’re officially in his territory attacking his underlings, and all Luffy gained from his fight with Katakuri he’s bullying Kaido’s men. Last time a Yonko took his strength into consideration they sent a top commander. Luffy and Zoro are going to run into a calamity really soon. Forget the headliners, a calamity is going to pop up and games over. Hawkins seem to be breaking a sweat rn but Law sees him but Bepo is being a punk.

I mean grow a pair, Luffy’s right hand man is cutting down the crew of a Yonko and Law’s is crying needing to be babysat.

Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    martialarts

Loved this chapter. The humour in this one was classic. First, luffy's intro as a Sumo God will forever stand out to me... "Sumo, aspiring pirate" Congrats luffy, you may not have made it as a pirate, but you've already made it in the world of Sumo!

Record - undefeated against Usopp, God of OP. Which makes sense. Usopp is the only one capable of challenging a sumo of luffy's calibre.

Next best moment was Kiku's face where she couldn't stop from cracking up. I'm not sure what her deal is, but this is the first time I'm really on board with a new nakama. I REALLY hope she is straw hat material, because I love her so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhaul View Post
    WHO THE HELL IS SHUTENMARU??

Any guesses?
    Some kinda robin hood-esque group that steals from Kaido and tries to keep the normal folks from starving and dying?
    Anyway, fun chapter. Enjoyed seeing Luffy effortlessly dodge all the blows the big guy threw at him.

Thought his G3 palm strike was a bit too much, but seeing the effect Oda wanted to cause, it made sense.
    I think Oda was also trying to show some respect to Sumo. This guy was the biggest baddest in all the land, luffy at least had to use some technique on him, even if it was just a little.
    Liked seeing a female holding a sword and actually cutting someone for once.

Luffy still holding the sword despite using Gomu no Techniques

Will there be a Law x Hawkins clash?

Zoro x Holdem? The lion can make it a 3 "sword" style fight in both sides.
    Love Kiku!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoroXLee View Post
    Fun chapter.
    Kiku constantly asking for permission to attack seems like it'd be something that she was taught to do, but I hope she breaks out of that mindset because it'll get annoying quick. I feel like she could have fodderized him, but the world may never know.
    Sumo dude was no diffed by Luffy as expected. I was hoping to have chopper beat him, but not anymore.
    Bepo, what are you doing? You're supposed to be law's first mate and you're being taken down by poisonous fish smh
    Hawkins is still a mystery.
    No brook yet again
    @bold yes, yet another great moment in this chapter!

As for kiku, I think she's clearly trolling them. She wasn't just gonna let sumo dude hit her, was she? I think she's testing out luffy and zoro with each move she makes. That's why she could help but crack up in that one panel. She's clearly not weak, so I can't wait to see what her story is and what she's capable of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibaba Saluja View Post
    LOVE THIS. I would really like for sentomaru to be connected to wano.
    Quote Originally Posted by BTR View Post
    Seeing Law and Hawkins potentially fight will be interesting. I expect Speed will be introduced soon as well, to even up the odds for the Beasts Pirates.
    Man, enough of these headliners. I want more disasters! If we get another headliner, I think I'd rather see x drake in the mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhaul View Post
    So is Luffy the new Summo Champion of Wano?
    fuck ya.

Spoiler!

Senior Member AndrewtheAmericanDude's Avatar
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    marksman entertainer

I wasn't as big on this chapter, O-Kiku is already uninteresting to me compared to O-Tama, so I guess her stepping aside for Luffy to save the day doesn't change much, but she didn't win points for me. Urashima (I think that was his name) wasn't even much as a designed to be hated villain. Spandam should show him what it's like to be that and well-written. The best part about this chapter was the setup for next chapter.

With Spandam it played into larger more interesting themes, government corruption, individual power grabs, true team work vs. fake alternative. And he was Wil E. Coyote all the while. Urashima is just like honor, and that can definitely be a good theme but so far it was pretty basic in everything it was. Now Holdem, Holdem is entertaining. I don't know if he's gonna get washed but he's doing his job. I like how this town is seemingly living up to being a heated spot which is seemingly all Urashima was for.

Law was one of the funnier bits of this chapter. I've enjoyed how with Wano, we have a classic humorous adventurous vibe. This chapter felt hollow to me tho but it seems to be just building up for the heat. Anyway, some people are mentioning Law v. Hawkins, that's actually one of my most wanted match-ups.

EDIT: I'm not even trying to say that a comedic villain has to try to be artsy I just don't find Urashima to be memorable at all
    Last edited by AndrewtheAmericanDude; Aug 31st '18 at 08:10 PM.

Spoiler!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast