EXP
    swordsman chef

Halloween Hunt 2018

Chapter One

I see all
    I know all
    Even now I call,
    As world is to fall

“I ain’t drivin’ any closer to that accursed place ma’am. No matter how much extra you are willing to pay.” The driver was incessantly uncooperative

“I don’t suppose you’ll be willing to carry my bags to the hotel then?” My annoyance was starting to break the calm façade I was presenting until now

“Ma’am, I’m either leaving you here, or I’m taking you back to the city.” He sighed and looked me right in the eyes “And my advice is that you take the other option.”

I rolled my eyes, took my bag, and shoved the money in the driver’s hand “Thank you for your service. Please expect my call for a return trip within a week from now.”

Driver took the money and shook his head “I sure hope you get to make that call ma’am.”

As soon as I got out of the car, it drove off. Getting within 500 yards from this place seemed to be quite the achievement for that man’s courage. And other people I talked to fared no better on that front. O.P.Bay. The cursed town. The town of madmen. The place of outcast souls. It was almost as if the locals competed to who will come up with the most cringy, spooky or repulsive nickname for the town. Just to keep the strangers away. None of that would work on uncle. He’d find the effort amusing, would ignore all the warnings and would go straight for the source. As I am doing right now. Thankfully my luggage had wheels, although the dirt road that went to the town wouldn’t do them any favors.
    Soon enough, I reached the entrance to the town. It was a large iron gate, surrounded by a chiseled stone gateway. In front of the gate, four identical looking guards stood. One of them was sleeping on his feet.

“Halt! Who goes there?” Said the first, who was apparently roleplaying as the generic bodyguard

“A stranger! Stranger in our midst!” Said the second, excitable one.

“She better behave or she’ll meet my fist!” The third one was aggressive for no reason.

“Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre…” The fourth one snored.

It would appear that the “Town of lunatics” was the most accurate adjective. “Excuse me… gentlemen. I’m looking for my uncle. He came here looking fo-”

“The old god!” Excitable one gasped

“Yes we remember.” Generic one nodded while stroking his chin

“Visitors are rare, and he was… much odd.” Angry one spoke

“Errrrrrrrrrrrrr” snoring intensified.

“So you know where he is? Is he alright?” My heart started pumping faster.

“We know where he went” the dull one swung his head towards the town “Where he is now, well…” he shrugged.

“But if you need to find the old one, then you need to solve our test!” that one was getting even more excited.

“Oh, yeah. That one asked for our riddle as well.” Third guard scratched his head.

“Sttttttttttttttttttttt” still snoring…

Of course there was a test. It would be no fun without it. If only I was in the mood for fun and not out of my mind worrying about uncle… “Fine… What’s the test?” Uncle was able to solve it. He would move no further until he did. So it shouldn’t be THAT hard.

The guards coughed in unison.
    “My name is Supi” The first, dull one said “Us four brothers are very close. Where one begins, the other ends.”
    “My name is Gelu” The second, angry one stepped forth “Your search for the clue may prove difficult. You must use advanced methods.”
    “My name is Pige!” The third, excited one jumped “42! You’ll know you are on the right track if you see it!”
    Last guard just snored.
    “Um…” Pige jumped up and down “He was supposed to say that his name is important for finding the thing…”

I pondered for a moment. It can’t possibly be that simple. Uncle would be very disappointed “It’s alright. I already figured it out where to look.”
    I took the weird, hidden, red thing and delivered a winning smile to the four brothers.

As I walked to the town forum, I heard the fourth guard talk in his sleep.
    “tnatropmi eb lliw esrever ni gnidaer tniop eno ta”

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Whole Cake Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman chef

Chapter Two

Jungle of the mind
    Within its deep lies
    In fear it freezes
    Heart left behind

My profession taught me that the first place one should look in for information was the local pub. My uncle followed… a different line of thought that would nevertheless lead him to the same destination.
    “North And Vest bar” …I wonder if the owner knows he misspelled the name. It is to be expected of the common folk though. I walked in to find the barkeep washing beer mugs behind the counter, and three customers, regulars judging by their weathered look, drinking together at one of the tables.

“Welcome lass!” The barkeep spoke “I’m Jonvegard North, and this rugged gentleman whose back are turned to me is my partner Crankimus Vest”
    Crankimus just waved without giving me a second look… well their names explain one grammatical inconsistency with the bar name…

“I’m looking for my uncle…”

All four of them said at once

That’s about as accurate as it gets “Yes, that’s the one. Do you know where he is? Is he alright?”

“We last saw him a few days ago.” Snipes the Hunter said “He was running in circles looking for the old god. My bet is he finally found what he was looking for and got stuck there.”

“Yes.” Lumberjack Underhaul spoke “Bad things happen to those that seek the old god. They go mad trying to figure out the clues that lead to him.”

“Oh I already got the first one” I couldn’t bother to hide the smile on my face “And my uncle isn’t some third rate hunter either.”

“Everyone figures out the first clue.” Crankimus rolled his eyes “That guy couldn’t keep a secret if his life depended on it”

“There were four actually” I said confused

“Nah, he’s one guy. A D’ver. He splits into more of himself.” Jonvegard waved his hands in the air

“Cause he’s too full of himself to contain within one body.” Snipes shrugged

Everyone laughed at an obvious inside joke.

“Please, I need your help to find him.” Maybe these gentlemen would be more willing to help me if I played the damsel in distress card “He could be in danger”

“OF COURSE I WILL HELP YOU STRANGER-CHAN! <3” Underhaul jumped from his chair “In fact! The rumor says one lead to the old god’s resting place is in this very establishment. The ‘North And Vest bar’!”

I could swear he misspelled it on purpose.

“Yes…” Snipes continued “It is said that the old sailor ‘Swift Connections’ Kaboom fished out an old crate of peculiar wine that belonged to an old god…”

“And that he sold it to me!” Crankimus butted in “However I remember not a thing of that encounter. Was too drunk at the moment I guess. Nevertheless, we do have a crate of cursed wine in the cellar. You can take one if you are brave, or foolish enough. Your uncle did so.”

“Oi, you bastards!” Underhaul got angry “I was the first to come and help the lady! You can’t act now!”

The three started arguing. While they were doing that I asked Owner Jonvegard for a bottle of Peculiar Wine from Swift Connection’s haul that was sitting in North and Vest bar’s cellar. He handed me one and I walked away finding a curious red brick on the bottom of the bottle. I was quite surprised at how easy this was, although I assumed someone looking at this from afar would have a bit more trouble.

Last thing I heard coming from the pub were Underhaul’s words “Seriously, The only things that should be next to men, are women.”
    Last edited by Gir; Nov 2nd '18 at 11:03 AM.

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Whole Cake Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman chef

Chapter Three

Testament to old one’s mood
    Drowned sinners, 22 float
    One turns to serpent food
    Drowned sinners, 21 float

I decided to visit the library second. I’ve been around too many loud people lately and diving into town archives would surely bring calm to-

“IF WAR IS WHAT YOU WANT, WAR IS WHAT YOU SHALL GET, FRUIT VENDOR!”

Aaaaand that dream was gone. I sighed and entered the library. It was quite vast for such a small provincial town. Numerous lines of bookshelves were scattered across the room spanning all the way to the roof. In the middle was a heavy wooden desk, around which were four people… playing cards.

“I assure you it is beyond poor Cider’s power” well rounded man spoke “the cards come into Cider’s hand as they please. And they please to go in company of other cards that supplement them. Cider is the victim here!”

“Yes poor you.” Said the man rocking on his chair, looking wildly amused “Winning each and every hand since we started playing. It must be a very difficult existence for you.”

“Spymaster Tein, honesty is Cider’s dearest mistress.” Fruit vendor Cider continued “and fairness is his most beloved wife! I assure you, if Cider were to cheat he would turn himself in to sheriff Shakey here in an instant.”

“Of course you would.” Sheriff spoke “And I would live after seeing grand priestess naked. Sure.”

“Exactly!” Cider continued “Priestess is a merciful angel full of forgiveness. Opposed to the weavers of fate that wish to make Cider look bad by delivering all your coin unto him.”

“I know you are cheating…” The man who shouted earlier spoke. He was resting his chin on the table, his back turned to me. “And I will find out how you are cheating whether it’s the last thing I do.”

“Librarian Girion, you will be pleased to know that that endeavor won’t be your final action in this world, for the thing you seek to find simply does not exist. Cider swears it so upon his unsullied name.” Cider then spotted me standing there. “But turn that frown upside down dear friend! You have a visitor, a new one for that!”

“Ok, now I know you are full of something other than fat.” Librarian pointed at the fruit vendor “No one ever comes here anymore.”

“He’s right tho.” Spymaster tilted his head towards me and the librarian turned around to see me in surprise.

“Oh… I’m sorry.” he clumsily got up and shook my hand “I’m Girion, the Librarian of O.P.Bay. How can I be of assistance?”

“I’m looking for an old god.” I said bluntly. Previous encounter taught me there was no need to dance around the subject

“Give up.” Said the sheriff “You will lose your mind or worse trying to find him.”

“That one won’t give up” spymaster smirked “She has that driven look in her eyes. Just like that old man from before.”

Librarian pondered for a second, nodded and then took his green inked pen and written on the piece of paper “You need to find 4 road poneglyphs in order to locate the old god. Put them together, and they will spell out the location for you.”

“Dear…” The fruit vendor spoke “If you ARE looking to go in your uncle’s footsteps you should look underneath this table. One clue is drawn there.”

I raised my eyebrow and got on my knees. Looking underneath the table I saw a mural.

It was a man, no, a zombie. He was wearing a shirt which had the face of a smiling, red haired man with three scars across his eye. In his hand, the zombie was holding something that looked like… a spider? No, this was a virus. Horribly enlargened, but still a virus. And he was surrounded by seemingly random stuff. Chess pieces, pool balls and… Pokemon? Seemed like a rather modern clue for a million years old god.

I pulled out the town map and soon enough managed to pinpoint the exact location of the poneglyph. “Thank you for your help gentlemen.” I nodded in the general direction of the card players “I’ll see you soon with my uncle.”

How did that Fruit vendor knew I was following my uncle’s footsteps?

As I was leaving I heard spymaster say “Oi, you can’t play a pair of queens first. Those are the rules!”
    “The rules you yourself made!” Sheriff responded “I swear you are making them up as you go.”

Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Whole Cake Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    swordsman chef

Chapter Four

Wind howls, hooves thunder
    Swords slice, earth’s asunder
    Blood spills, life drains
    Souls lost, Old one’s gains

I only needed one more of these “Poneglyphs”. The people at the library mentioned a grand priestess. Usually people of religion know the more… darker things that go around the town. So I assumed she would know where to find the last one. I also assumed she would be at the temple, so I made my way there.
    One glance at the temple gate proved me right. There was a plaque on it that said “Grand Priestess Aertes Stormborn, Lady of the house Dark. Spiritual protector of O.P.Bay, weaver of fortune, and an admirer of roast chicken.” I concluded she was a lady after my own liking.

As I entered the temple grounds I found a roadsign in the middle.

“South: You just came from there. Don’t be stupid.” … -.-

“South-west: Graveyard (Minions, servants, soldiers of the cold dark be there)” I decided I won’t be paying my respects.

“West: Crypt Basement of fun bdsm dungeon” …okay. Dungeon part seemed to be written with green ink, and crossed off with what seemed to be a large talon scratch.

“North-west: Garden of terror (Beware the shamblers. They don’t feel a thing, but you do.)” sha-what?

“North: Main temple. That huge building you are staring at.”

“North-east: Rake. The cutest little baby critter EVA! <3” I glanced there to see a giant dragon happily waggling his tail… I’ll need to change my pants.

“East: Wishing well” the most normal item so far…

“South-east: Residential building for my beloved followers ^^ ” …almost the most normal item here.

I moved past the sign and entered the temple. In there, a dark haired woman in a long white dress waited. She turned to me and smiled “Welcome dear guest. Have you come to be my follower?”

“No actually. I came here looking for my uncle. He-”

The priestess puffed her lips and crossed her arms “How rude! You haven’t even introduced yourself and already you are making demands! That’s unacceptable!”

I just realized no one here asked me for my name yet… “I’m sorry. I forgot myself for a moment there. My name is-”

“Too late! You are rude. And now you will be called Rude. But you have asked for forgiveness so I shall allow you to stay.” She smiled “So tell me Rude, what is it that you need?”

Slightly overwhelmed, I took a step back and then continued “I’m looking for an old god. My uncle got lost looking for him and-”

Priestess stamped her foot on the ground and then turned around “Of course! Everyone is looking for that old fart. No one cares about the beautiful young priestess in need. AND I’M A REAL PERSON HERE!”

“I-“

“No, no Rude. It is my turn to apologize. I lost my temper for a moment. What does the lady need to do to get some attention around here! Your uncle was named Rude too. He only cared about the old fart as well.”

“So you know where he is?”

“Tsk… I assume he found him. He was able to… see my poneglyph after all.” She giggled in a very implicit way that made me very uncomfortable.

“So you know where the old god is?”

She shrugged “I have one Poneglyph. Dunno where the others are at. And I don’t care. Old one can rot in his cell for all I care.”

“Can I see your poneglyph then?”

Aertes opened her mouth wide and sunk her fists into her hips “Rude! Just like that? You don’t even want to take me to dinner first? Unacceptable! For this bold demand you need to take me out to an adventurous place!”

Ok, this one was the most difficult to work with “So to see your poneglyph I need to take you somewhere adventurous.”

“No!” her cheeks got red with anger “That’s your punishment for being so bold Rude!” She turned her back to me and crossed her arms again “If you want to see my poneglyph…” she chuckled again “you will need to prove you know me.”

“I need to prove that I know you?”

“Yes!” She smiled and clapped her hands “You only need to answer one question.”

“One question?”

“Indeed. What are my interests?”

“Your interests?” I was perplexed “How am I supposed to know that?”

Priestess rolled her eyes “Well… you need to find out things about me Rude… actually I might end up calling you Stupid in the end.”

“To learn things about Priestess Aertes so I can answer what her interests are? Hmm…”

A few hours later…

I left the temple in a hurry. I got the poneglyph in the end, but wasted a lot of time. Had some fun in the end though.

As I was walking out the gate the priestess shouted to me “Hey Smart! Don’t forget! Fire comes last!”
    Last edited by Gir; Nov 2nd '18 at 11:02 AM.