View Poll Results: !!! Rate This Week's Episode !!!

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll

1 25.00%

0 0%

0 0%

2 50.00%

1 25.00%
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Whole Cake Island
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    martialarts chef

One Piece Episode 881 - Going into Action! The Implacable New Admiral of the Fleet -

"Going into Action! The Implacable New Admiral of the Fleet - Sakazuki!"

One Piece Episode 881 Discussion

Discuss One Piece Episode 881 here

Please remember to rate this week's episode!
    1 is worst, 5 is best.
    "If you dont risk your life, you cant create a future"

Im Just a Man Named RJ a man named rj's Avatar
    Manga
    Dressrosa
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    marksman engineer

That was absolutely awful.

1/5 on principle alone. I havent seen something this bad since Katekyo Hitman reborn with it's 9 minute episodes. Not only was 90% of this entire episode a flashback, the little we did see was so poorly handled, and minmally animated it makes me wonder why they even bothered.

Like there is just nothing here. The compositing and lighting are minimal, The sound design is just as static as ever using the same stock sound effects with no EQ, reverb, or modulation on them... They did't even try. And i know for a fact that this interim arc was planned like this from the start. It baffles me why we don't just make up some filler arc or something, and run that for a cour. So here's my proposition.

I will keep these episodes very lowly ranked. TOEI in turn needs to get the anime close to 50 chapters behind the manga from it's current almost 40. And when we get to Wano, I want to see 1.5 chapter pacing, through the WHOLE thing with very little room for compromise. I want to see only that which needs to be expanded upon expanded upon. There is more than enough content in an OP chapter to do this and make it feel natural. That is what I want to see from Wano.
    Spoiler!
    FINISHED MY FILM!!!

Senior Member AndrewtheAmericanDude's Avatar
    Manga
    Whole Cake Island
    Anime
    Zou
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    marksman entertainer

@a man named rj I respect your analysis, but waiting for a big arc to be the time when the anime finally spends some gas and boosts its pacing has not happened in the New World yet. Probably partially in part due to the fact that they don't make proper filler arcs anymore, not like pre timeskip. Now we just get filler arcs that are what? 3 episodes? What good is that ever gonna do.

I don't see why filler arcs are so despised. They can be skipped and are infinitely preferable for better canon content, and sometimes you even get a decent story out of it, though rarely here.

Spoiler!

Im Just a Man Named RJ a man named rj's Avatar
    Manga
    Dressrosa
    Anime
    Dressrosa
    Beli
    Gold
    EXP
    marksman engineer

@AndrewtheAmericanDude You know something. if they offered me a job as either an animator or a writer I'd take it. But yeesh I'd immediately be on the "We need to make a filler arc" train. And probably get fired for it.

Anyway, People despise filler, not because it exists, but because of shows that came out that ruined the concept. Naruto and bleach come to mind. There really is no good solution to the long-running manga formula outside of the Wait 15 years and make an adaptation method. Even the seasonal route people keep asking for sucks. BNHA loses popularity with each new season now. And the only reason Jojo isn't losing popularity despite it's approach is because it managed to become a staple of Japan decades ago, so the anime adaptations are viewed as a loving homage, not an advertising method like Op, Naruto, BNHA Bleach and just about any other anime adaptation. The same thing actually happened to Hunter x Hunter 2011. It has the best of both worlds.

1999 was everything wrong with long-running shonen because the anime started a year after the manga, and 2011 was a speedy Homage adaptation. Even if i think 1999 has better direction I respect the 2011 pacing. I wish somebody would supercut 1999 into manga-accurate pacing. Filler can be good if used sparringly. One Piece is a compact manga, so truth be told between each major arc just drop 20 episodes or something of a filler arc and go 1.5 chapters per episode.

IK the pacing hasn't gotten better. I've been around this fandom since Sabaody back in 09. Odas breaks in 2014 didn't help matters either. But hey, could be worse. We could be Detective Conan (DC) fans. DC has hit a manga standstill where very few chapters come out nowadays and the anime is like 15 chapters behind it despite currently adapting 2 year old stories. loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooots of filler cases there
    Last edited by a man named rj; Apr 21st '19 at 10:03 PM.
    Spoiler!
    FINISHED MY FILM!!!